Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2011 10:39:18 -0400
Hi Tammy:

One thing to be aware of is that hair loss does not necessarily
correlate directly with how advanced the adrenal disease might be
in a ferret. It is just one of many symptoms, and could be severe
or minor. Other symptoms would include lethargy, muscle wasting,
increased aggressiveness, increased grooming of themselves and
others, and enlarged prostate in males or swollen vulva in females.

Yes, Lupron can be expensive. Be sure to get a Lupron Depot of either
1-month or 4-month variety, and one that is strong enough to be
effective. Many vets will use a 200 mcg (microgram) 4-month shot as a
standard dose, but I have found this to generally be too weak to be
effective unless the adrenal disease is in very early stages. I would
personally never go with anything less than a 500 mcg shot of the
4-month variety, or a 200 mcg shot of the 1-month variety. Also, if
you do the 4-month type, you will want to get the next shot 3-1/2
months later, not 4 months. You will want some overlap.

My personal strong preference is to use the Deslorelin implant rather
than Lupron Depot. It will last a lot longer, involve less visits to
the vet (and less stress to the ferret), and it is a lot less expensive
over the course of time. I have also found them to work better most of
the time. That is my personal experience from 5 Deslorelin implants in
different ferrets. However, few vets carry them regularly, and
currently they must be imported from Australia, which takes a fair
amount of time to ship and a fair amount of effort on the vet's part.

Keep in mind that you can also get a melatonin implant in addition to
either the Lupron Depot or the Deslorelin. The melatonin works in a
different way, and in conjunction with either of the others, gives the
best non-surgical treatment.

Now, for your original question about where to get Lupron... I've found
that this compounding pharmacy has been the best one I've tried. They
compound to the specifications of the prescription that must be called
in by your vet, they ship promptly, and their pricing was the best, at
least as of the last time that I compared, which was around a year ago.

Professional Arts Pharmacy
1101 North Rolling Road
Baltimore, MD  21228
1-800-832-9285

This is the info that I have as of the last time that I contacted them,
around a year ago. If your vet does not want to open an account with
them and order the meds directly, then what you will have to do is
call them and set up an account, meaning that they will have your
information and a credit card on file. Then ask your vet to call in the
prescription, which they will fill and mail to you. Then you will take
it with you to the vet appointment for the vet to mix and administer.

Jeff
In Loving Memory of Neo, Trinity, Morphy, Possum, Pip, Pop, Sabrina,
Minnie Mouse, Hunny, Misty, Frodo, Baggins, and Mr. Parker
Caring for Luna, Baby Girl, Dozer, Boomer, and Zoomer