From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:54:22 -0500
My name is L.K (loving Kindness) and I am a ferret and live at the FFIRCI
Shelter and this is a story about out Christmas.

Now that the Holidays are over me and the crew here would like to tell you
about our Christmas.

December 19th was like any other day here.  Mommy shelter person was up at
5:30am to let Halo (the blind kid) and Perry (the lead ferret for blind kid)
out for morning play period and the porch.  Twiddle and Dee Ferrets (the
latest arrivals here at the shelter) went out for their play period in the
bedroom with shelter daddy (who was still napping).  Mommy shelter person
was doing the normal things before she went to work i.e. cage cleaning,
refilling of water bottles and of course the all important Maxdog and
Ragsdog walk.  Mommy shelter person left at 6:30am for work - leaving us all
in the care of the Daddy shelter person (who was as usual ASLEEP) .  Daddy
shelter person was awakened by Twiddle and Dee at the designated time of
7:00am.  Daddy (who is not a morning person) did his normal thing i.e.
spilling coffe, slurping coffe, checking on Halo, Perry, Twiddle and Dee
before showering.  At 7:45am the mommy shelter person came home - we all
thought this was great - but we saw the mommy person whispering to the daddy
shelter person and then the mommy began to act wierd i.e. pacing the floor
and acting extremely hyper.  L.K. (our head ferret) had seen this behavior
before and said it was BBBBAAAADDDD!  L.K. told us the mommy person only
acted this way when something nasty happened.

At 11:00am Halo and Perry, Twiddle and Dee's play period ended and it was
time for Jake and Randy lunch play time .  Daddy was home for lunch (EARLY)
and mommy was still here!!!  Someone came to the door.  Mommy was a wreck
she was yelling at the Daddy and she was crying tears of joy.  A large
package had arrived full of stuff for us!  40 pound of tottally ferret.  Now
we did not realize why the mommy shelter person was going so beserk till
later (you'll find out) but she was really out of it.  We got an early
christmas present from those nice people at the Totally Ferret place.

Twiddle and Dee's play period was over at 2:00pm so it was time for the big
group to play!!!  L.K.  Lisa, Sienna, Taz, Tigger, Jerry Jeremiah - we were
ready for a rumble.  Mommy was rumbling with us in the big bedroom but shee
seemed so sad.  She told the L.K.  that she had lost her job this morning
but not to worry she would find a new one.  We understand what job means
i.e. that's the thing that brings us raisins, food and litter.  Mommy told
us that really nice people from Totally Ferret had sent us food for
Christmas and everything would be O.K.

For the next several day it was a whirlwind around here - the shelter mommy
was  coming and going and she smelled funny (call perfume or something) all
the time, she was also dressed wierdly with these hose or stocking things on
her leg and these high heel things (the ones we hadden't attacked yet).

Christmas was drawing closer and our mommy shelter person didn't have a job
and thing looked pretty bleak - then mommy got this call from our Dr. Ernest
(she's that nasty person that sticks us with horrible needles) asking the
mommy to come to the Vet office.  Well mommy went and we were very
FREIGHTENED.  When the mommy came home it was the crying thing again - then
the mommy brought in these supplies for all us ferrets for Christmas that
the Dr. Ernest, Vet person, cruel needle sticking individual sent us (we
don't dislike her that much anymore).  We had special goodies and Jake got a
supply of his special Sick-after-surgery-food.

This week before Christmas was kinda normal - we all had our regular play
periods, cage cleanings and stuff but the mommy shelter person was really
really WIERD she was acting much like us i.e. bouncing off wall, running
this way and that with no real place to go, waking up at all hours when it
was dark.  Then on the 23rd of December mommy came from the mail box.
Auntie Violet had sent a donation of $100 dollars and mommy shelter person
was estatic - "a payment on the vet bills" she was yelling (quite frankly it
hurt our ears).  Mommy shelter person and daddy shelter person were all
smiles that day.

Christmas Eve morning we all noticed something was different - there were no
wrapped things under the Rosemary Christmas Tree.  We could not smell any of
the special stuff at holidays "raisins ferret cookies" (really yummy), apple
slices (lightly broiled), patoto peels for teething exercise.  Baby Lisa
(always the spoiled sport) was telling all of us that the Santa Ferret was
NOT COMING.

Now I am the head ferret here and I don't stand for this type of negativity -
I told the Baby Lisa that she just didn't know what she was talking about  -
the Santa ferret had already visited 3 times before Christmas!!!  Oh but the
Baby Lisa would not listen (what a spoiled sport).

Christmas Eve after noon we heard lots of activity outside the side door, we
could hear the breaks of those things called cars and trucks and we could
also hear the mommy making these laughing crying noises.

Suddenly new smells began to invade our play areas and cages - good smells -
apples being broiled, fresh potato's being peeled - our hopes were up.
Mommy and daddy were in such good spirits.  Mommy was yelling about
something called the FML Coupon people and food for us all and not to worry,
Daddy was carrying a package that came all the way across the country from
Oregon.  Mommy was hanging up these neat cards with others of our kind
pictured on them.  We knew something great had happened.

Christmas day arrived - mommy was up very very early.  It's usual for mommy
to go out and get the paper for the daddy in the morning (remember the
daddy's not all-togather in the morning) we heard this squealing this mommy
was making (it even woke the daddy).  When mommy came back in the house she
had this large red can in her hand - we knew that can it was 'CALIFORNIA
ORGANIC RAISINS' the SANTA FERRET had come to us AGAIN!!!!

We do know that you wonderful ferret lovers on the FML made it possible for
us to be feed for the next month.  We also know that the Totally Ferret
people have made it possible for us to have food.  And the Dr. Ernest (even
though we hate her for sticking us with needles) gave us special food for
the sick kids Randy and Jake.  And that Auntie Violet made a payment for our
vet care.  And that the Oregon people sent us new hammoies, and pounds plus,
and Ferret Sheen and other neat stuff.  What we don't know is who sent those
"California Organic Raisins"

So Baby Lisa - don't you ever every tell that there is not a SANTA FERRET.
Santa Ferret lives in the bodies of those with the greatest love - those who
love our kind not just at the time called Chrismas but all through the year
and SANTA FERRET does not have four legs like us - SANTA FERRETS ONLY HAVE
TWO LEGS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVE AND KINDNESS AND GENEROSITY AT A TIME WHEN WE NEEDED
IT MOST

L.K.  HEAD SHELTER FERRET  OF FERRET FRIENDS OF INDIAN RIVER COUNTY