Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:46:40 EDT
Thanks to articles Sukie spent time bringing to light..

I learned that the crusting around chin (and/or feet) could be one of
signs of distemper.

So many people I have written to over the years are NOT giving
distemper shots to their ferrets! But, apparently, this crusting
could be just one of the symptoms from not giving that shot.

I give mine their shots every year for the first 2 years. Then...I
see how their health is. I usually get mine older. So they have health
issues after I have had them after 2 to 3 years. I have not given Mini
me or Tuffy a distemper shot in 2 years now. Mini me almost died from
her last one. Tuffy had one every year for 5 years. Now he is adrenal
and has heart issues.

I gave one to the elderly ones I adopted initially. And I may well give
them another in another year...IF they are relatively healthy. But then
I will play it by ear. If I give them another distemper this coming
winter..I will probably wait 2 years and see how they are before
considering another.

I am not a vet, and may not be doing the right thing. But this IS what
I am doing. I know a lot of people will not speak out on what they are
really doing or not doing in regards to distemper shots to the group.
But many are not ever giving distemper shots.

You may want to reconsider. As I understand it, distemper can be
carried in on your shoes.