From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Assocation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 12:59:55 -0500
I think the intros are a great idea w/the FML 10th Anniversary coming up.
It bring wonderful memories back for me.

Gus was the 1st gift my hubby (then SO) ever gave me.  I knew nothing about
ferrets except for what the pet shop had told me & the little info sheet
they made up & handed out.  I had never met a more endearing creature.

We moved to GA from NY w/our little Gus, who was now my 11 month old sable
buddy.  When we got to GA & found out ferrets were illegal, I was
heartbroken.  I wanted my little guy to go w/me everywhere.  I know exactly
how you CA people feel.  We had to resolve ourselves to live quietly
underground.

One Saturday morning my hubby woke me us & told me to get dressed.  I was
disappointed about not being able to sleep in & wanted to know where we were
going.  He wouldn't tell me, he said it was a surprise.  This was very out
of the ordinary for him - he lived to sleep in.  We got on the road early
that morning & once we hit FL he started getting off at every exit, finding
only very small towns.  Once we hit Gainesville hubby pulled into a mall
parking lot.  I didn't get it, he hates malls.  But we went in & he just led
me around by the hand - I still didn't know what he was looking for.

When we came to the pet store, still he said nothing, but of course I had to
go in.  There in a cage were 2 big sable fuzzies who at 7 months were much
bigger than my little Gus.  Hubby had the cranky *could care less* teenage
salesperson take them out for me to hold & introduce to Gus.  It was really
a toss-up between the 2 babies.  To this day I'm sorry both of them didn't
come home w/us.  Maximillian, *Max,* was named on the way home.  He & Gus
were the last pet store purchases we ever made.

We moved to AZ 9 months later & met Suzanne Resinger of the Central AZ
Ferret Club.  Through this wonderful lady, who not only took in unwanted
ferrets, but regularly drove to CA to pick up confiscated ferrets, I adopted
11 over the 18 months we lived there.  We had to buy a mini van to transport
them when we were relocated back to GA.  Again we were living underground &
in fear.

I hooked up w/the GA Domestic Ferret Association in 1990.  In '91 ferret
ownership was legalized in GA & I have since taken a very active role in
rescue & adoption.  In addition to the rescues who came & stayed - my fuzzy
family of 11 - I routinely have up to a dozen rescues in my spare bedroom
all waiting for homes of their own.  The GDFA averages 15-35 ferrets in
foster care.

In loving remembrance of the turn-ins who were beyond saving & died in my
care, & all my babies who are now at Rainbow Bridge.  RIP my little ones.
Gus, Max, Twix, Johnny, Zachary, Mickey, Elmie, Little, Flower, Sugar,
Rikki, Peaches, & Friday the 13th, Cid, Bandit, Normie, Farrah.

I hope to meet many of you at the FML 10th Anniversary celebration of
ferrets in Orlando.

LONG LIVE KODO

Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu,
Chaos, Tuxedo, Bijou, Fiasco, & Dazzle