From:
"J. S. LEE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:30:00 +0900
Hi, all FML'ers

I just started to subscribe to FML since yesterday.  I am very new to
ferrets, and since not many people are keeping ferrets in this country (I
heard from the quarantine station that less than 50 ferrets had been
imported into Korea so far), I am having many problems & questions regarding
keeping these cute animals.

My two ferrets are from a breeder in Texas, USA.  They are very playful, and
seem healthy (as far as I know) now.

On the last day at the quarrantine station (the quarantine period is 5
days), I noticed that they had some bloody mass (stool) in the cage and on
their body, and all the ferrets (I imported 4 ferrets) were very lethargic.
They looked fine the day before, and all I did different was I gave them
"Whiskers" canned cat food as treat.

I was absolutely terrified and went to two veterianry hospitals as soon as I
finished the customs clearance & quarantine.  The first vet had no idea what
to do with ferrets, and he referred me to another vet who had "a little bit"
more experience with animals other than dogs and cats.  He said that he
hadn't even seen ferrets before, although he expericed with minks at a mink
farm.  He thought they had GI disorder, and gave them two shots (one for
anti-bacteria, and one for helping digest system).  Among 4 ferrets, 2 died
after midnight around 1AM & 3AM.  The rest two ferrets seemed got a little
better.  The next day, the vet gave the same shots to each ferrets again.
That evening, they started eating again, and now they are just fine.  But I
still wonder weather the vet diagnosed right or just 2 lucky ones survived.

Any ways, this was story with my ferrets a month ago.

1. Would it be possible for ferrets to develope disease in such a short
time and die?

2. Obviously, I can not find ferret specific distemper vaccine in Korea.
If I can not find any canine distemper vaccine mentioned in FAQ, what are
my choices?

3. I am giving my ferrets cat food (ANF & Purina mixed).  These are not
kitten food (I couldn't find kitten food here), and its fat content is
rather low (ANF 18%, Purina 8%).  I am giving my ferrets a product called
"Nutri-Cal" (Evsco Pharm.  NJ, USA) as dietary supplement.  My ferrets love
this, but I am wondering if it is okay to keep using this.  Do anyone know
this is acceptable supplement?  It reads one teaspoon contains 26.5Kcal and
it is for dogs and cats.

4.  I am going to buy about 1~200 lb of "Totally Ferret Food" from the
States.  But before actual order, could anyone recommend a specific brand of
ferret food to me?

Please pardon my not so good English.
And Thank you for your help in advance.

-Jun