From:
Kymberlie Barone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 23:11:36 -0500
Hello everyone!

I have some news about Ferrets Across America and again, put out a plea for
new FAA volunteers.  If you are new to the FML and don't know what FAA is,
PLEASE read on; at the bottom of this message is an explanation of the
program and info on signing up.

First, though: we have a need for transport volunteers in ALL states.  We
currently have about 100 volunteers, and we have been doing some wonderful
transports.  However, FAA is *very* hard to do with only two or three
volunteers per state, and quite a few transports simply couldn't take place
because there was nobody available to fill in the gaps of the trip.  It is
hard to turn down a transport; ALL ferrets that need to get to their new
mommies and daddies should have the chance to get there safely, without
having to be shipped as cargo.

However, we have an *especially* strong need for volunteers in the western
states.  We have two transports right now that we have to have covered
ASAP, they originate in Reno, Nevada, and go to Phoenix, Arizona, and also
to central Kansas.  Between Salt Lake City and Phoenix we will need to have
covered (current Arizona volunteers, you will be contacted shortly), and
between Reno, Nevada and Salt Lake City we need to have covered.

If you are not in these areas, however, we STILL need your help!
Transports come up all the time, and it's MUCH better to have volunteers
already on hand than to scramble for them when we need them.

For the other part of the news, I would like to announce the new
Coordinator of Ferrets Across America.  I found that FAA was a very time
consuming job, and I had to think of my shelter, my job, my marriage...
and I had to think of the ferrets that need transporting.  I was spread too
thin and couldn't do a full job at any of the above things.  One candidate
stood out for the job above all others, though there were some great
candidates!!  However, Melissa Sutton was enthusiastic, very persistant :-),
and just had all of the right answers to my questions, so I gave her a
shot at the job.  She's handling her first transport right now, and
it's a doozy!!  She's doing a great job.  We will be taking on a few
co-coordinators to help Melissa out, so if you were one of those who
expressed an interest in being considered for the Coordinator position, we
will be contacting you shortly!

So what is FAA?  If you don't know, here's the explanation.  In a nutshell,
there are dozens of ferrets a month that need to get from one place in the
U.S. to another.  Owners move, and planes didn't allow them in the cabin.
Shelters found the perfect owner... but that person is three states away.
Shelters are overburdened, and a shelter a state away has room.  There are
many reasons, but my purpose was always the same: find a SAFE way to get
ferrets from point A to point B.  There are 3000 people, give or take, on
the FML; certainly many would be interested in helping to transport ferrets
a few hours to the next place.

Transporting is strictly voluntary.  You choose how far you want to travel
from your home.  You choose when you participate.  It's fun and you're
helping to give a special fuzzy a special home.

Interested???  PLEASE, if you want to help ferrets and you don't mind
driving anywhere from 2 hours to as many hours as you like to transport a
ferret or two, sign up!  And if you can help with our current transports,
we need you immediately!  If you want to sign up, please go to the
following website and fill out the online form -- this is essential.  If
you do not have internet access, you may email either me,
[log in to unmask], or Melissa, at [log in to unmask] to let us know.
However, if you can fill out the form, *please* do so, it makes adding you
to our database much, much easier!

FAA Website: http://www.ferretrescue.com/faa.htm

We hope to have you on board!  Thanks!

Kymberlie Barone
Director,
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
Montgomery County Branch
http://www.ferretrescue.com
"Forget Puppy Love... There's nothing greater than Ferret Love!"tm
Don't miss the Three Rivers Ferret Show!!!!!!!!!
March 13, 1999 in Oakmont, PA
More info: http://trfn.clpgh.org/trfc/Show.shtml
Show proceeds help PFRA ferrets get a second chance!!!