From:
"Michael a.k.a. OIK" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:21:32 -0400
>A friend of mine has had her ferret for almost two years.  When buttercup
>was brought home she was sort of silvery gray, now she is almost completly
>white.  My question is what breed of ferret does this?

This is not unheard of in ferrets, they can change coat color when they
shead, and some ferrets it is more drastic than others.

>Also, are black-footed ferrets endangered?

The true Black Footed Ferret is(or atleast once was) the most endangered
mammal in north america, and was even once thought to be extinct untill a
farmers dog found and killed one, and the remaining black fotted ferrets
were taken to a sanctuary for a closed breeding program to get their
numbers up.

and although they are called ferrets, they are not closely related to te
domestic ferret, which is closely related to the european and steppe
polecats, but they are in the same family as the black-footed ferret(and
skunks, mink, otters, weasels, etc.)

Take Care,
Mike
--