From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 22:13:54 -0800
>From:    "Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: question about toys
>Since most squeaky toys are of a rubbery like material, it would not be a
>good idea to allow your ferrets to play with them.

The advice we got many years ago was to notice that there are two materials
used for these type of toys - vinyl and latex.  The latex ones are the
softer rubber (usually duller colors) and are dangerously easy to chew.
The vinyl ones are firmer and thicker; they are less easy to chew so are
much safer.  We don't leave them in the cages where a bored ferret is more
likely to chew but allow them to play with them while running around.
Chewing is less trouble but you still need to watch them to prevent
problems.

>From:    "J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: declawing
>Declawing: egad! [...]  I don't think any vet would perform the
>procedure--but just in case, please don't do it.

We can only think of one person who has really come out in favor of ferret
declawing and he hasn't said that for a while.  Some vets will do this but
most of us think this is a bad idea.

>From:    Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: why black footed ferrets were wiped out
>No one even knew that black footed ferrets existed until their numbers had
>been decimated.  Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the
>way I understand it.

The BFF was known of way back.  The Native Americans of course knew about
them too.  But they were thought extinct at one point.  A barking dog
pointed out that although thought extinct there were still a few.

>From:    Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hunting in the US, MA regs

Just starting here to remind folks that ferrets are used in Europe to hunt
rabbits.  There rabbits live in warrens which are more like prairie dog
towns than the small rabbit holes here in North America.  It just isn't
the same and so hunting wouldn't be done precisely the same way.

>From:    Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Don't be silly?
>Silly?  I wonder how many FML ferret lovers would put a collar on a ferret
>and let it disappear into a hole in the ground with the hope that they could
>"locate" it and dig it up sometime.

We are looking forward to going to England in the near future and at least
watch folks ferreting.  We think we qualify as "FML ferret lovers".  No one
here can really speak for others.

>From:    Barbara A Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: unique drinking style
>My tiny little Gypsy pokes her head into one of the thin rags I use for
>bedding and will drink THROUGH the cloth

This we've seen (and of course laughed).  Our favorites are the "lazy ones"
that hang down from their hammocks and drink water upside down.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]