Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:52:57 EDT
Hello everyone,

I spoke to Jan today about AB 363 and AB 409.  This bill was a surprise to
his office and I believe we will deal with it if it makes it to the
Assembly.  Hopefully the Senators will have the good sense to kill it
outright.

If you've contacted your State Senator or Assemblymember that's fine, we
will definitely need to fight this bill in the Assembly with everything we
have.  I do not think that this bodes well for AB 363 though.  Senator
Johnston believes this is a compromise or alternative but it would
effectively not allow us to pursue a legislative solution which is
outrageous.

Regarding the trial of Eugene Soroten, sadly the judge did not allow any
testimony about whether the ferret in question was wild or domesticated.
Mr. Soroten was fined 300.00 and given a year's probation.  We will appeal
this decision as a clear error made by the judge-- there are wild ferrets
and domesticated ones and he didn't allow for that possibility.

I won't be able to answer many of your questions this week.  Due to a family
emergency and a very important job that has to be photographed in LA, I'm
going to be pretty much out of the loop until next week.

This hasn't been a particularly good week for us but we will only win if you
renew your vows to fight on.  You deserve to win this fight but can only do
so through your own dedication and hard work.  Hang in there everyone.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!