From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 09:28:00 EDT
Wanted to comment on Pat O'Neal's points and explain how our ferrets got
involved with Chromium Picolinate (CP).  A few references (no titles to save
space) and see if these are questionable journals - Evans, J Biosci Med Res,
1989; 11: 163-180;  Page et al., J Ani Sci, 69, Abstract 403, 1991;
McCarty, J App Nutrition, 43 (1),1991; and  Press, Western J of Med;
152:41-45, Jan 90.  I have many more, but I just wanted to give a taste.  A
very available, unbiased general article is in Newsweek, Mar 13, 95, p 62.
Please read that, Pat.

The nutritional form is trivalent chromium and is considered non-toxic;
animals given mega doses show no ill effects.  CP was developed and patented
(#4,315,927) by the US Dept. of Ag., Human Nutrition Lab., not Ronco.
Unlike other forms of this heavy metal which are dangerous, CP is water
soluble and excreted rather than stored (hence the temporary effect
mentioned by LeAnn).  Yes, CP does pass through the cell membrane, but
osmosis still rules and we are talking micrograms diluted in the blood
stream and millions of cells; it doesn't go through the nuclear membrane
to affect DNA.  The National Academy of Science recommends 50 - 200 mcg of
chromium per day.  FDA levels are only based on what the average balanced
American diet provides, not on testing to determine some optimum level, as
commonly believed.  Also, Brewers Yeast is often given because of the
chromium it contains.  I would argue that CP is just a better absorbed
form of a nutrient that many consider important enough to supplement.  BTW
Coffee has many substances that are known carcinogens, so that specter
(which does not apply to CP) is a red herring in both ways cited.  People
consume carcinogens willingly all the time.  (Don't get me going on my
ravings about risk acceptance.)

My ferrets got involved out of desperation.  We were about to have one put
down after no response to different treatments (no exact diagnosis) from
Angell Mem. in Boston and our own vet.  He could no longer stand and was
sinking fast.   We were too close to our vet's closing time when we finally
decided to give in and had to wait a day.  My wife and I both take CP, have
noticed a benefit, and figured it was no risk to give to Max as a last ditch
try (his death warrant was signed).  Next morning he was moving around and
eating again (coincidence? - who knows).  He is still going strong 2 years
later.

They all began getting a CP supplement at about 10 mcg about 6 mos. later.
Now we have an insulanoma ferret.  At the time of diagnosis he had a BG of
43.  There have been many ferrets posted here at this level and higher with
multiple seizures.  Ours has never, ever had a seizure and is fairly active.
 Yes, our vet is amazed too.  Questionable benefits?  Personal experience
and valid studies would disagree, but the final word is not in.  When other
treatments show no result(e.g., repeated seizures), sometimes the
unconventional is the only option left.  This is how I have mentioned it on
FML, but not how I use it.  History is littered with renowned people that
have dismissed a "fad" that has developed into a mainstay of life (e.g., air
travel).   As for cost, I get 200 for under $9; this is under ten cents a
day for all of us taking it (2&7).  (PS  My wife is a registered dietitian
who once doubted and now believes strongly.)
   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \