From:
friskyferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:42:24 +0100
Hi Kathy, I am a ferret-owner (or is it the other way around!), from the
Channel Islands.  I only have rescue ferrets that are usually frightened
and scared and in a new environment.  The ferret is an intelligent animal,
some studies have shown the ferret to have similar intelligence to the dog
in it's ability to learn tasks etc.  Within weeks, I have usually managed
to stop the inevitable nipping by gentle means, as you do.  I also have
intact hobs neutered which seems to help.  Kits always nip, as most baby
aniamals.  Bitter-apple is good for training, some books advocate dipping
the knuckles in egg-white, some a nose-tap and a sharp "no".  One should
NEVER shout at an animal, it will increase fear and the liklihood of
biting.  I was horrified at what you saw at this Ferret Expo, the ferret
was out of it's normal environment and probably quite frightened.  This
woman was indeed cruel and showed an appalling example to others in her
abuse of this animal.  I do hope something can be done, if she behaves like
this in public what does she do when alone with a ferret to "train" it?