From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 1995 07:27:56 -0500
To TLE:

I think you were very lucky that nothing more serious happened.  However,
I would like to expand on your experience.

If someone has a ferret (or any animal) that is reacting badly to an
insect sting, waiting a couple of days could be detrimental.  My feeling
is that if your own vet is not available, looking for an open animal
emergency clinic would be an appropriate thing to do.

Stinging insects can cause anaphylactic reactions (just like vaccinations!)
that can close the breathing passages, causing your animal to drown or
suffocate.  I say drown, because (if I'm not mistaken) fluid rushes into
- or rather fills - the lungs making breathing difficult - and in some
cases - impossible.  This is essentially why antihistamines like Benadryl
are given - to reduce the fluid buildup in the tissues.

The fact that she responded so quickly after treatment indicates that
she was still in some distress 2 or 3 days after the incident.

With each additional "sting", reactions will become worse and more life-
threatening.  I have first hand experience w/this as I am allergic to
bee and wasp stings myself.  I have a "bee stinging kit" that contains
4 antihistamine tablets and a syrine of epinephrine.  During the warm
months, I carry it w/me everywhere.  I wouldn't even consider a walk in
the park w/out bringing it.

I think it's better to be cautious - if your pet shows any signs of
distress (difficulty breathing, facial swelling) after an insect sting,
take them to a vet ASAP!!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA