From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 03:56:21 -0500
Hello all -

>From:    Lena Sjoberg <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: lymphosarcoma?

Hi Lena - the pear shaped swelling you describe located in the left side of
the abdomen is probably an enlarged spleen as you suspect.  This could or
could not be associated with lymphosarcoma.  Most enlarged spleens are not.
However, in view of the fact you have also located enlarged lymph nodes or
swelling under the "arm pits" - don't think I would wait to get your ferret
to the vet.  Enlarged lymph nodes could be a sign of infection -- but -- are
certainly a worrisome sign.  Especially in view of other symptoms.  Please
don't delay, and please let us know how your ferret is doing.

>From:    Kelly L White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: questions for breeders

>... Recently I noticed information pertaining to questions to ask breeders
>when you are looking to buy from them.  Good list, by the way.  ... I've
>talked to people who have been breeding ferrets or who have bought ferrets
>from a private breeder and they all pretty much say the same thing.  You
>can't see the parents of kits you are interested in buying... something
>about being a "closed" operation ... Why?  One of the major points on the
>list was seeing that the parents of the kit .....

Hi Kelly - I thought the list of questions to ask a breeder was a good one
too and I don't know about "closed" operations with small breeders, but you
should certainly be able to see the mother of the kit or kits you are
contemplating adding to your family as well as the father, if he is on
premises.  While breeders have often bred jills and hobs on premises,
sometimes a jill is bred to another breeder's hob and so the father might
not be on premises.  You should also expect and should see other ferrets on
premises.  This gives you the opportunity to see ferrets of all ages and
access their condition, temperament, living conditions and so on.  I would
also extend this to particularly ask the breeder to see other relatives of
the litter as well.

I don't think I would acquire a ferret, nor should anyone else, if the other
ferrets are not accessible to view.  I would also add that in contemplating
an acquisition from a breeder you might want to check with people who have
acquired ferrets from this breeder in the past.  If you know of none, ask
the breeder for a few names and phone numbers of people who have their
ferrets and then contact them.  You should also expect the breeder to answer
all your questions and be available for follow-up.  Most breeders want to do
this anyway because they are genuinely interested and care about their
babies.  After all, breeding and raising litters is a big responsibility and
a lot of time and emotional investment is made.  Kits should be easy to
handle, playful, curious, and bright-eyed and bushy tailed!  Good luck in
your quest.

Hi Catherine - Mithie might have been partially descented - in other words,
perhaps some of the anal gland was left and this might account for the
abcess.  Missing a descent or a "botched job", does not necessarily mean she
was not spayed.  But, I think your vet is very right and that you should
keep an eye on her in case she comes in season and I would check her
frequently.  Not all jills come in when Spring arrives.  What you look for
is any swelling or enlargement of the vulva - if this happens then you can
assume she is intact.  You did not mention Mithie's age - is she still a
kit?  Normally, jills will go into season anywhere between 6 months and 1
year.  If she is older than a year, you probably don't have to worry - too
much - but would keep an eye on her anyway!

With Holidays coming up and ferrets having the special quality of getting
sick or having a problem just at that time - please know that I am available
for nursing care advice 24 hours a day.  I can be reached at 703-765-4353 (H)
or 703-765-3112 (W), or by e-mail.

Cheers, Meg