From:
Randy Ferret Aid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:59:07 -0500
Because we see so many unaltered ferrets with our LOVELY back-yard
breeders here in Ontario I can defiantly say without a doubt that this
disease DOES come to those ferrets who are not altered too.  Adrenal
disease does not only effect the altered kids.

It's just like people who say ECE isn't out there anymore :) It is,
however many aren't seeing the symptoms of it anymore because most
ferrets have the immunity to it.  Our shelter still sees it because
we still deal with back yard breeder kids who have never seen ECE.  So
when these poor kids come into the shelter, they get hit hard with ECE
whereas the pet store kids (older or younger) don't bat an eye.

If you don't deal with it on a regular basis, it's hard to say what the
normal is.  While it's true, it's not as normal to see an unaltered
ferret showing signs of the disease, it's also harder to notice the EARLY
signs of the disease too.  For instance, early signs in males are spot
peeing or scent marking; unaltered males do this ALL the time.  Early
signs in females is vulva swelling which happens in unaltered females
too.  More advanced adrenal signs are the hair loss and that's when we
all know there is a true problem but hair loss doesn't always happen
with adrenal disease until it's sometimes too late.

So, in short, yes, even unaltered ferrets can and do have adrenal
disease.

Miss Randy Melanie Belair
President
The Ferret Aid Society
<http://www.ferretaid.org/>

Join us for the IFC Ferret Aid 2006 Conference!
Book early, almost sold out!!
http://www.ferretaid.org/events/ferret_aid_2006.html