From:
"Gwen M. Daley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 09:09:12 +0000
Hi folks,

My little white child is now my little pink child - she's lost all of her
long guard hairs, and is covered only in soft white underfur.  It's pretty
ridiculous looking.  Anyway, fearing adrenal disease, I took her to the vet.
Here's the response I got - I thought I would run it by y'all, any advice
would be greatly appreciated:

1.  Yes, the symptoms are consistant with adrenal disease.  The only way to
find out is to do surgery, but as long as she appears healthy (she is,
very!), there is no point in doing the surgery, because they may not find
anything.  I am supposed to watch her very closely (as if you could ignore a
Pepto-Bismol-pink ferret!).

2.  In some cases like Lulu's the hair loss is the result of "severe
shedding".  I'm willing to buy this in her case - it isn't patchy hair loss,
it's all over guard hair loss.  Also, she's gaining weight, and is showing
no signs of anemia, excess eating, or sluggishness.

As I said before, I'd really appreciate any advice from those of you who
have gone through this with their little ones.  I am completely unwilling to
put Lulu through surgery unless there is some theraputic value to it!  Our
local vets seem awfully eager to put my little ones under the knife, but
that's a story for another day.  TIA!

Gwen

Gwen M. Daley
http://www.vt.edu:10021/G/gdaley/gmd.html