From:
"Jack Darkes, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:34:41 -0700
Four days have passed since Kodo's life was taken.  I can finally bring
myself to write about it.  Since I heard the news, I've been too shocked,
too saddened, too angry, too numb.  It took two days until the tears finally
came.  In my naivetE, I truly believed that we would win, that justice would
prevail, that the hero would come through at the last hour to save the day,
and all that other crap that is the stuff of fiction rather than real life.
I've thought of all the various evils that I would like to befall all of
those responsible for Kodo's outcome, contemplated how I could make these
come to pass, and of course in the end recognize that this does our cause,
and Kodo no good.  I will fully support a national organization which aims
at legal and public relations issues concerning our ferrets; I believe this
will be the only road to changing the laws and public image of our pets.

Although I didn't have the honor of knowing Kodo personally, I know what Bob
shared of him.  I see Kodo's eagerness to be the first one out of the cage
in my little Myst; I see his eagerness to play and exuberance for life in my
Merlin; I see him in the springy little gallop of my Bandit as he comes into
the living room after a nap to check things out; I see him in Aislyn as she
goes poing-ing away to hide a favorite toy; and in Gandalf as he asks for
just one more raisin, please.  I see Kodo in my Mandrake as she follows me
around the house, saying whatcha doing now?, and in my Jasmine who gives a
little squeak when she is hugged just a bit tight.  I see Kodo living on in
all of my ferrets, and each night before they go to bed each gets an extra
hug and drop of Ferretone, for Kodo.

I know life goes on; it always does in spite of the tragedies that occur
along the way.  But in my thoughts and in my heart will always be the family
who will forever be missing a presence; and a little ferret who set out with
his family on a Saturday in early May for a little adventure and never
returned home.

In memory of Kodo and loving thoughts to Bob and his family

Lucie Darkes