Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:15:47 -0400
Hugs to all!

Believe it or not, I am being charged with "neglect of duty" at work.

To make a long story short, I brought Gizmo into work one morning because
she was very ill that particular morning.  She has mesenteric lymphoma,
had underwent chemotherapy, and still needs to be force fed and given
pediapred on a daily basis.  I notified my captain at my station (I'm a
firefighter/paramedic, and also happen to be female), and my captain
understood my predicament, because my ferrets are my "kids".  My vet is
only 2 minutes from my assigned station, and I was going to get her there
that day.  My shift starts at 0730 hrs.  At 0835 I was told to go to
another station, which is more than twenty miles from my station and in
rush hour traffic, it took me another hour to get there.  I notified the
acting Capt. of the situation and explained as to why I had Gizmo with me.
At 1700 hours,I was told that she could not be in crew quarters, which was
determined to be the entire station.  Their only option was the apparatus
floor which was at least 107 degrees.  I had no choice but to leave
work,"emergency leave".  I solved the problem and returned to work 3.5
hours later.  Male coworkers leave work all the time to tend to problems
that arise in their daily lives, and I have never seen such a reprimand for
my colleagues.  I was docked pay for the 3.5 hours, which is against our
union contract, and Monday at 1030 hours, I will be either suspended,
demoted, or dismissed because of this situation.  The department charges
are neglect of duty, and disobeying orders, none of which are applicable.
I am so distraught about this whole predicament, and the most appalling
part is that the division chief from that station provided false written
documentation against me, and the department is supporting him.

I have been advised by the union that I will probably be suspended, at
which time I can file a grievance.  Anyone have any comments or suggestions
to help me.  I could use some kind words of support at this time, and I
will post the results after the hearing.

Keep us in your prayers.

Sincerely,
Diane Hinck, Gizmo, Sammy, and Nipper