From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:52:15 -0700
Hello.  I live in Sierra Vista, AZ (south of Tucson).  I do have a
web-link to a shelter in Phoenix.  The Shelter mom, Julie, there is
wonderful!  Last week we (our shelter here) received a call from a lady
in the Phoenix area that had found a ferret.  She drove 45 minutes to
pick up the ferret and bring him back to the shelter.

Their website even has a web-cam set up so that you can see the ferrets
playing.  Website:
http://www.wuzzles.com/ferrets/
They are now specializing in breeding, however, do still take in ferrets
from time to time.

Here is another shelter
http://wwwfuzzyferrets.homestead.com/

I am sure there are more out there and the best thing to do is to ask
someone at one of the shelters above.  Tucson also has a shelter:
http://members.tripod.com/FerretFriends/

And of course, our shelter here, Ferret Corner
http://geocities.com/ferretcorneraz/index

Hope that information helped.

I am a new mommy too.  Had never actually seen a ferret until Jun 01.  My
boyfriend - who had one before - brought this little 8 week old baby Spice
home...and I fell in love.

As far as cuddling...well girls normally don't...mine both would rather
play or just walk around then be cuddled - just like people...everyone is
different.  One thing that I can tell you...pick them up A LOT.  Not for
long periods but just short ones.  We did that with Spice and she doesn't
freak out when you pick her up and put her to your face.  She just waits
for you do either put her down or give her kisses.  Our other ferret,
Pepper, we just got 2 weeks ago and she was 5 months old...a biter and
also deaf most of the time.  She is learning.  I think for me that kits
are much easier at least when it comes to some things.

As for litter box training...I think Spice went through the same thing.
She now knows the word "potty".  When she started "missing" the litter box
after being so good with it...we had a solution that takes some effort on
the person.  Before you let them out of the cage, make them go potty.  Put
them in the litter box and say "potty".  If they get out, put them back
and repeat.  Once you get them to go (hopefully!) then they can come out
to play.  (Careful...sometimes they sucker you and "pretend" to go!)
About 10 minutes into playing, pick them up and put them in the litter
box closest to them (I am assuming that you have one outside of their
cage...if not...that may be the problem.  They don't normally like having
to go back to the cage to go).  Put them in the litter box and say
"potty".  If they jump out, pick them back up and say "potty".  I would
repeat this 3 or 4 times.  If they don't go then let them play some more.
But be ready.

If an accident happens....I have always made them watch - just don't be
mad and hurt them and DON"T rub their nose in it!  I pick up the poop with
a paper towel and then place it in the litter box...then show them and put
them in the litter box and say "potty".

I am sure that there are a lot more people out there with information...
and much wiser...but I figured I would throw my 2 cents in.

Joanne
Wuzzies:  Spice and Pepper