From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 08:28:05 -0400
My take on the ferret who "died" from long nails.

It's a shame a necrotopsy wasn't done on the ferret who died in her cage
because of her nail being caught in her hammock.

There are many ferrets in good health who live FAR LONGER with NO FOOD OR
WATER.  We've all heard horror stories of ferrets who have been neglected
because the child owning it forgot to feed or water it.

My guess is that something else was wrong with her that kept her from
surviving the incident.  If she had gone even for a day (24 hours) without
food and water, she would have been VERY HUNGRY and VERY THIRSTY, but alive
and able to bounce back.

Nikki, don't blame yourself--I would be willing to bet that if she had been
necrotopsied, the vet would have found something else wrong with her that
contributed to her death far more.

Melodyt and the nifty nine