Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:48:20 -0500
My Bubbie passed away today.

Yesterday he went in for an ultrasound.  The right adrenal was fine.  The
left could not be seen due to a distended stomach (food was withheld the
night before).  For some reason he also got a bout of diarrhea while at
the vets.  All in all I spent around $400.00.  I noticed he was acting
a little strange when I picked him up.  I thought it was just due to an
overwhelming day.  Well this morning I woke up to the sound of banging
and squealing in the cage.  I thought it was just Zoey and someone else
play fighting (this is normal).  I told them to stop in a stern voice.
They usually calm down when I do that.  Well the noise didn't stop so I
got up out of bed and found Bubbie seizing like crazy.  I called my vet.
No one was there to see exotics.  I called another vet they recommended.
They didn't see ferrets so I called a number they gave me and so on and
so on.  All in all I called 5 different places.  This whole time my
Bubbie was seizing.  These places either wouldn't see him because I
didn't have cash on me, the exotic vet wasn't in, or they just didn't
see ferrets period.  Finally I found a place that could take him.  They
were very nice.  Bubbie had to have emergency surgery.  The vet thought
maybe his bladder had ruptured.  Turns out his left adrenal was twice
the size of the right one.  Most of his intestines were distended.  There
was nothing in there to indicate a blockage so the vet was a little
confused.  Bubbie had a hard time waking up after surgery.  His temp and
his heartbeat were very low.  Then I go the call that everyone dreads.
"He didn't make it."

I am hurting so much.  I miss my baby.  He was my favorite because he
was the only one of my 8 that was deaf and the only one I could hold and
cuddle.  He loved his warm baths and burrowing inside my sweatpants on
the floor.

Bubbie is going to be cremated.  I am going to keep his ashes.  The
bill for the surgery and cremation will be around $1000.  But you know
what....this is ok.  They have payment plan options and have worked one
out with me.  I am at peace knowing they did all they could for him and
I now have a new vet.

I'm not off the hook yet.  I now have another ferret with beginning
stages of hair loss.

I'd like to thank those of you who sent me positive emails and provided
me with information on adrenal.  I am most greatful.

~Susie and Brood~