From:
Pam VanOverloop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 14:15:57 -0400
I've been enjoying the FML these past few months while learning all about my
new ferrets and indulging in ferret Math, but now I come to all of you more
experienced ferret people with a very heavy heart and a request for your
wisdom, advice or just plain support.

Our little BlondieBoy, a 10 month old chocolate sweetheart, is our first
truly sick ferret.  I've been to the vet three times this week, saw two
different vets, both experienced with ferrets.  They give him antibiotics,
give me words of encouragement, but in my gut I know we are losing him.  Is
there anything more heartbreaking than a young ferret who is "down"?

Last Sunday evening I returned from the monthly meeting of the Tristate
Ferret Connection (the Cincinnati show sounds GREAT!), my husband met me at
the door and said I'd better go check on the ferrets because Blondie
wouldn't come out and play.  Since Blondie is our lightest sleeper and wants
to play every time someone walks by the cage, I knew something was seriously
wrong.  He was so lethargic!  I set him on the floor and he dragged himself
back to bed, barely using his hind legs.  Well to make along story short,
here it is Friday and he still just lays unresponsive in his bed.  He still
has an elevated temp.(about 104) and a marble size lump (abcess?) on his
right thigh.  He is eating/drinking/pooping as long as he doesn't have to
move far.  We hold him, stroke him, talk to him but he is like a limp
ragdoll - barely lifting his head.

Has anyone had an experience like this?  Am I just too impatient for the
antibiotics to work?  If we are losing him, is there any way we can make his
last days comfortable?  I know tears don't help, but I can't stop crying
every time I think about how full of bounce he used to be.  Even my "it's
just a pet" hubby has been quietly paying the vet bills and holds Blondie
for hours just stroking him.

Any suggestions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

PamV  and "Eight is Enough" (although I can't imagine going through this
seven more times)