From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:58:31 -0500
>From:    Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: De-Scented?????
>The question I have is that although all my ferrets have had their anal
>glands removed, is it possible that a small part of the gland could be left
>in Wolfie?  Or, is it just that perhaps he wasn't done?  Is it possible for
>the glands to grow back?  Has anyone else on the list ever experienced this?

2 of my supposedly descented fuzzies had to have surgery to remove their
anal glands, one for impaction & the other for infection.  They were both MF
(no flame, just fact), so they should have already been removed.  I don't
know whether the descenting was missed, or whether it was incomplete because
they're so tiny when it's done.

>From:    Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Another one bites the dust

This is from Juliana's worse half.  Being in the computer business and
having a dozen keyboards trashed by ferrets over the years - I've found that
you can reclaim quality keyboards by placing them in the dish washer and not
adding soap - really.  As a general rule, the washing machine is a bit rough
on the boards (even on the gentle cycle).

For the less brave - fill your tub with warm water - soak for a couple of
hours, swish around, spray to rinse, shake out and let dry (really well).
If the water from your tap is not particularly clean (e.g., Phoenix)
purchase a few gallons of distilled water.  A fair test of a dry keyboard is
shaking it hard enough that you get a headache - if any water sprinkles
out - not dry yet.

The trick is that quality keyboards don't contain any parts that water
damages.  They consist of a circuit board, some springs (ergo - dry really
well) and plastic caps.

Oh yeah, don't remove the key caps unless you have a guide to put them back.
I did that once and spent an hour tapping keys to figure out which cap went
where.

For the truly anal - Hoolean (spelling?) Corp, in Arizona, makes a pliable
plastic keyboard cover.  Of course the ferrets will probably steal or munch
on the cover.  You can order special keys from Hoolean also.  I have a key
with the word "Any" on it.  Finally, I can respond to the computer
instruction "Press Any Key".

Finally, I have two or three keyboards on the shelf at any time (figure a
worst case scenario of two ferret attacks on a weekend).  Go to/call any
computer salvage store and good quality keyboards (e.g., IBM) cost $25.

Barring the above, I've found that strapping a 5 pound weight to the little
buggers stops most climbing (use 10 pounds for the really determined ones).

Juliana & Bob Fortney
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo