Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:29:46 -0400
Hello everyone!

I have been an FML subscriber for approx. 2 weeks now, and have learned so
much from the list and the other resources provided by the list server.

I have two ferrets, Gib (an albino male) who is approx. 2 years old, and
Taiga (a silver female) who is 4 years old.  I adopted Gib from the OSPCA
in Stratford.  He was found in Woodstock, Ontario and had been on the loose
for a while.  Apparently there is someone in that area known for letting
ferrets loose there.  After four months at the shelter, he finally found a
place to live.  It has taken a long time for my boyfriend and I to develop
a bond with him, but we still have a long way to go.

Taiga has helped quite a bit though.  We thought it would be nice for Gib
to have a ferret playmate, for when we are both at work.  When I started
working at a local pet store earlier this year, there was a notice on our
bulliten board, that someone was looking for a home for his ferret.  After
some discussion, and a large addition to the cage, we brought Taiga home
and introduced her to Gib.  They got along great immediately, and we did
not have to keep them separate.

I do have some concerns about Taiga though.  When we first got her, she had
what we thought was a cold, and immediately we took her to the vet and got
some medicine for her.  The medicine did not work, and Gib has never caught
it from her.  Is there such a thing as asthma or allergies in ferrets?  We
have no idea what it could be, as it does not affect her very much if at
all.  She simply has watery eyes (which still work very well) and a stuffed
nose.  If anyone has any idea as to what it could be, I would appreciate
some feedback.  We also think Taiga may be deaf.  Is there any way to check
for that?

Much thanks to all for helping me to learn about these facinating
creatures.

Jessica