Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:28:41 -0700
After 3 weeks and one day of Ferret Bliss, I have now joined the real world
of Ferret Parenting.  Yesterday my sweet Parris bit me, hard, 3 times.
After analyzing the situation, I think I know why.  I am new to ferrets,
she (1 year old) is new to us.  They had been in their cage napping.  I
opened the door for afternoon play time, went out to do outside chores.
When I came back in, they were actively playing ferret style.  I needed
to bring the parrots in from the back porch, so went to put the kids back
in the cage so they didn't zip out the door.  Picked up The Kid (12 weeks)
who play nipped a bit too hard, so I scruffed him while telling him NONONO,
then into the cage he went.  Picked up Parris who sniffed my hand, then
nipped, not hard.  Started to scruff her and she buried her teeth and hung
on.  I scruffed, scolded, scruffed some more, she just bit harder.  By now
my little princess in the white fur coat has blood running out her mouth.
I tried scruffing her on the floor and hissing, she released enough to grab
another bite, this time grinding her jaws and meaning business.  The Kid is
out watching as I had not latched the door.  I tried just sitting quietly,
talking softly to see if she would let go.  Took another bite, hung on.
So, did what I did not want to do and thumped that sweet little nose.
Her former owner had disciplined this way, and after the second thump she
released.  Two things, they were excited from play, and my hands smelled
like donkeys and dogs from doing chores.  After we all calmed down, I made
myself pick them both up for cuddles and Ferretvite.  I'll admit my heart
pounded a bit, but I wanted to end the day on a positive note.  I'm not
naive enough to think she won't do this again.  I will try and be more
aware of her excitement/fears.  I hope someone has a better idea than nose
thumping to get her to let go.  I feel I have violated her trust in me.
My hand is swollen and sore, but I've had much worse bites from my rescue
Yellow Nape parrot.  This morning I held them both a little before play
time and she was fine.  I feel a bit apprehensive and I know they will
sense this, just hope I can get over it soon.  Sorry this is so long, but
hope the entire picture might help if anyone wishes to offer any
suggestions.

In Touch, Ardith

Mailto:[log in to unmask]