From:
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 21:56:06 -0700
>From:    phoenix <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferrets at St. Louis Zoo

Well what you said was stated is not incorrect though it is somewhat
misleading.  I've lost the ins I used to have at that zoo, sounds like it
might be bad but not terrible.

European Polecat - mustella putorious.
Ferret - mustella putorious furo or mustella furo.  Bob C argues for
mustella furo and has good arguments.

The ferret IS a domesicated polecat but then the dog IS a domesticated wolf.
This is where the misleading bit comes in.  Ferrets have not had as much
changing of their form after domestication because less was needed to match
their role.  But they aren't the same.  We have polecat ferret hybrids and
they are NOT the same as the ferrets.  Can only imagine a pure polecat.  The
steppe poleys I know are not pets.  They just happen to live with people.
Not nice critters...

Doubt many people can tell the difference at least with 'sables'.  Ferrets
have a broader range of colors and patterns.  They are both darker AND
lighter than polecats.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/