Date:
Fri, 25 Dec 2009 21:24:27 -0500
Hi fellow FML'ers! Hope this email finds your skin and fur families
healthy. I would also like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a
Happy New Year!

I recently received and sad email from someone that is going to lose
their home of 11 years. She is having several health problems and has
no choice but to rehome her fuzzies. Normally I wouldn't ask for help
rehoming but here in Florida the shelters and rescues are few and far
between and the ones that are left are over full capacity with these
precious babies needing homes. We also need to make room for the
unwanted "Christmas gifts" sure to find their way here. If anyone can
help it would be much appreciated. I replied to the lady and told her
not to stress that someway we would find her kids a loving forever
home together. Here is her email:

Hello Kim,

I found your website from a link to a ferret forum I found on
craigslist today. I am writing you this email with a very heavy heart.
My family is losing our house we have been in for 11 years at the end
of January. We are moving into a small apartment (if we get approved,
we are in foreclosure and have horrible credit so if they don't approve
us I don't know what we will do!). We have three ferrets that we will
not be able to take with us. We got our ferrets years ago before we had
any idea life was going to take the current turn. I have never in my
life given up any of my pets and I have been so scared that our babies
would end up going somewhere that they were not loved and cared for and
that they would get sad and lonely and die or have someone abuse them.
I considered putting up an ad on craigslist with a rehoming fee, how
could I possibly know they would be safe and happy?

A few months ago we lost one of our fuzzies to cancer. His name was
Trouble and we might be a bit biased but he was the best ever ferret.
Putting him down was one of the hardest things I have had to do (I have
had animals my whole life). Our three remaining ferrets have been very
sad since he has been gone. I also have a degenerative neck problem
that causes severe migraine headaches and between that and getting
ready to move the ferrets haven't been getting the kind of attention
they need and deserve.

I don't know if you are currently taking any ferrets at your location.
After reading your website, I thought maybe there would be hope that
our babies could find a loving family to be a part of. All three
ferrets are Marshall ferrets, Princess is the oldest, she is 4. She is
white and has a little black nose. She is a skinny little thing, always
has been, she is terrified of vacuums and she does like to bite feet.
We don't believe in hurting or punishing our ferrets, and even with
reading a ton of things, trying all sorts of ways to get her to stop,
buying all the taste bad stuff to spray things, we could never break
her of that habit. Angel is our other little girl. She is 3 years old.
She was born with a stubby little tail and she has the cutest little
face. She has suffered the most after losing Trouble, they used to
wrestle and sleep together and she doesn't understand why he isn't
around to play with any more. Kamakazee is our little boy ferret, he is
3 as well. We rescued him from Pet Supermarket in Casselberry. He was
starving to death because he was too little to eat the dry food and
when we bought him the lady said that the vet had told her he might
die. (I had to try so hard not to yell at her and smack her, I was so
mad!). He is mostly blind in one eye because one of our cats swatted
him and punctured his eye. He is rambunctious, he likes to play with
the ladder in his cage making it thunk and I think he has a tiny bit
of brain damage from being almost starved to death when he was a baby,
nothing noticeable or that causes him any problems in his daily life.

They have a double level ferret nation cage with two acrylic litter
boxes that span across one of the small sides of the cage on each
level. They have two hammocks I made as well as a fuzzy one we bought
for them when Trouble was sick. They have some toys as well.

I am sorry for the length of this email, I am just so torn up inside at
the idea that we won't be able to take our babies with us and so very
scared there isn't anywhere for them to go where they will be loved and
cared for. I have also been afraid to send a note to anyone because of
all the harsh comments I have been seeing on craigslist that anyone who
would get rid of their pets is a poor excuse for a human being. And
honestly I do feel extremely guilty and upset that I am in the position
where I have to find them a new home.

Anyway, like I said, I don't know if you are currently accepting any
new fuzzies into your home, or if you might possibly know a place that
might be able to take them where they can be safe and loved. Thank you
for taking the time to read this.

 --------

As you can see, there is possibly one special needs kid and a nipper
in this group. They would have to go to someone that has experience
with this. I can get them to my house where they can stay and possibly
help transport if needed. We live in Seminole County just outside of
Orlando.

Kim
Stinky Pete's Ferret Retreat
http://floridaferrets.webs.com/