From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1993 10:37:49 -0500
O.K., now I need some help...

For about a year Bree has had thin, coarse fur.  But she's not balding
from the tail up like you would expect with an adrenal (and her
vulva's not swollen).  Rather, her tail has been sparse, and now with
her last shedding she's gotten very sparse around her midrift (not bald)
and her tail is only slightly worse.  She's also lethargic and has
some muscle mass loss.  There are no other symptoms that I've noticed.

About 3 weeks ago she had some flu-like symptoms.  Vomiting and
extreme diarhea (normal color, though).  That cleared up in a few
days with antibiotics, then she was extremely lethargic for the
next week or so.  Now she's back to where she was before getting sick
(as above paragraph).

I'm making an appointment to run blood work.  But my problem is that
I would like to have some idea what we should be looking for.  Does
anyone have any ideas?  Anyone experienced these symptoms before?
The non-symetrical hair loss seems to be contrary to an adrenal tumor,
she doesn't have swollen glands, her speen isn't enlarged, no
drooling/seizures, no apparent pain.  I'm stumped...

Thanks!

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets