From:
"Tim M. Keeter" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 1 May 1994 23:41:10 -0400
A special "Hello" to all you Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]> ferret owners
out in CA.  Guess what??

Well, I'll be getting a graduate degree and leaving Purdue by late Sept.
this year.  My wife and I have a little 1.5 yr-old named "SAM" (SAMantha)
who we've introduced to the FML once before.  At the moment, it's pretty
certain that we're gonna be moving to LA.  I'm not sure where we'll be
living, but I'll be working in El Segundo.

I must admit, I glance over all the CA stuff when I can, but the fine details
often get by me on a busy day.  My wife and I need advice, info, etc. on
what we're getting into.  She especially feels very strongly against giving
SAM away.

Are we putting Sam's life in danger if we take her with us?  That's the BIG
question.  We love her very much, but we don't want to put our selfishness
ahead of her safety.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.  How do we get her INTO the
state (I've heard they have checkpoints)?  How do we find a trustworthy and
knowledgeable VET?  How much public exposure is safe (she needs to get
outside on occassion - when, where, and how is it best)?  Should we "arm"
ourselves with statistics and facts, etc (what are some good/quick ones)?

More importantly - what would happen if we got caught?  Would we have an
opportunity to get her out of the state, or would they take her immediately,
never to be seen again?

PLEASE E-MAIL DIRECTLY TO MY ACCOUNT HERE SO WHAT YOU SAY CAN BE KEPT
TOTALLY CONFIDENTIAL.  We would appreciate anyone willing to talk about it
over the phone as well.

Thank you so much.

Tim, Carmen, and SAM