Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:02:27 -0800
>I felt it was important that at least people know that there's a lot
>more to this then what Sandy posted.  First, when the study first
>started two years ago, I know for a fact that a paper was supposed to be
>given to Sandy from Dr. Cathy Johnson Delaney.  I saw the paper handed
>to the director of the shelter at that time the ultrasounds were being
>done on the adrenal ferrets to decide which ones would go into the
>study.  Cathy said it was to be given to Sandy.  I have no ideal what
>this paper said.

Charlene, so this basically says that you don't know anything.  You don't
know what the paper said and you don't know that it was passed on to me.
You don't even know if it was about the study.

However, you are absolutely right that there is a lot more to this than
was posted.  I didn't previously mention how the entire WFA board of
directors are involved in this.  They are running an illegal veterinary
facility at their shelter (see Washington state RCW 18.92.260) and the
information, which you've just posted about descenting, will put one more
nail in the coffin, so to speak.  (Thanks, Charlene.  You love to involve
yourself in things you know nothing about, so maybe you'll get to testify
against Dr. Johnson-Delaney.)

I was never given any "paper" asking me to sign our ferrets over to Dr.
Johnson-Delaney.  Cathy Johnson-Delaney's "day job" is doing research on
Monkeys at SNBL USA.  She is used to killing on a daily basis, so her
reputation speaks for itself.  I did not know this at the time I was
asked to have some of our ferrets join the study, or I would not have
committed our ferrets into her hands at all.

But, it sounds as though she is telling YOU, that she owns Foxy and our
other 3 ferrets in the study?  If so, Ask her for proof.  (Ask Liane for
proof.) We need Foxy back in order to put closure to this.  Is she really
even dead???????  Or just being held hostage for some bizarre reason?????

The following was extracted from a message I received last week from
Liane, founder of Washington Ferret Association (WFA) to whom Charlene
refers:
" (Dr. Johnson-Delaney) is clear that Foxy is not, was not, and never was
a WFRS ferret.  Foxy was a part of the study, and that was ALL.  ...... I
have spoken with Julie, and she will be contacting you shortly to return
Foxy and retrieve Sasha.  Liane"

WFA asked Liane to be a go between from Dr. Johnson-Delaney & myself.
It was after I received the above message from Liane, that Dr.
Johnson-Delaney decided to withhold Foxy from us and ignore the agreement
that she made with Liane.  Dr. Johnson-Delaney has given NO reason for
her decision, but the entire board, with the exception of Liane appears
to be backing her.  All I wanted was Foxy back, do not accuse ME of
hurting her study.  I went forward with official complaints to the State
Veterinary Board after a week long frustration of trying to negotiate to
have Dr. Johnson-Delaney return our ferret.

>She would never put a ferret to sleep that was not in really bad shape
>and needed to be put to sleep, just because of the adrenal study.

Veterinarians do NOT have the authority, unless the owner of the animal
gives them (usually written) permission to kill/euthanize REGARDLESS of
whether or not they think they are in "really bad shape."

>in, but if Cathy Johnson Delaney told me that I needed to put a ferret
>to sleep I would trust her judgment completely!

AND if Dr. Johnson-Delaney had asked ME if she could put Foxy to sleep,
we would not be in this situation.  But she did NOT.  In the 15 years
I've been involved with animals on a daily basis, I have NEVER, EVER let
one of my animals die alone.  I have ALWAYS been there when the time came
to put them to sleep.  I hold them, I am with them when they pass on.  I
say goodbye to them.  I would NEVER let a cold hearted research vet kill
an animal.  I would have taken Foxy to my own compassionate veterinarian
if/when it was time for her to pass on.  But the point is that Foxy was
NOT ready to die.  Not in my opinion.  Not in any of our staff or
volunteers opinions and certainly not in Foxy's opinion.

>Could what Sandy is doing hurt this study!  Sure it could, will It, I
>don't know, I pray not!

Sandi did not do ANYTHING to hurt this study, all I want is my ferret's
body returned.  Foxy is only one ferret (although we will not be allowing
Sally to continue in the study) out of many in the study.  Dr.
Johnson-Delaney has purchased ferrets from a pet store for her study.
She has bred ferrets for her study.  She has tons of ferrets for her
study.  Dr. Johnson-Delaney is the person to blame if this study is hurt
and the WFA board is to blame for backing her instead of sticking to the
agreement to return Foxy.  This was NOT my doing.  Dr. Johnson-Delaney
killed Foxy.  I did not want money, I did not want anything....except
Foxy.

>As for the shelter. In the past 5 years that the shelter has been open
>we have rescued over 3,000 ferrets and found homes for all ferrets that
>have been adoptable.

Oh please!  Four months ago it was 1,500 ferrets rescued, that's 300/year
and there's no paperwork to show that the shelter has taken in even 100 a
year.  However, now it's 600/year.  Exaggeration/lies does nothing to
help the integrity of the shelter.

As far as finding homes for all adoptable ferrets.  The majority of
ferrets are moved into foster homes which have from 20 to 60 ferrets.
(Is 60 the number you now have Charlene?) That's more ferrets in foster
homes than a lot of the "shelters" on the FML.  Ferrets are not all
finding adoptive homes.  Most are being put into numerous foster homes.
Although I personally think this is putting too many ferrets into
individual homes, I'm NOT saying it's wrong (after all, what's the
alternative?), but don't misrepresent what WFA is doing.  They have NOT
done 3000 rescues, nor 2,000 rescues.  They have, however, helped "a lot"
of ferrets.

I followed up with Sukie privately and I am intending to following up
privately with the numerous individuals who have sent some wonderfully
supportive messages.  In the meantime, I'll be posting information on our
web page for those of you interested in following this.  The information
there now is a copy of the complaint we've made to Washington state,
which is public information.
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org/WAStateComplaintDVM.htm.  I'm not a web
page guru, but over the next couple of days, I'll also post some of the
e-mails from Dr. Johnson-Delaney and others.

If Charlene, who is not a board member of WFA, wishes to continue this on
the FML, I'll respond.  If not, this is the end of what I'll be posting
to the FML until the state of Washington (and other agencies I'm filing
complaints with) finishes it's investigation.

Sandi
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
a non-profit animal shelter
14317 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 6 days/week (closed Tue) or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org