From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:57:24 -0500
I was surprised to read Ed's post on mother ferrets fighting each other.
Now it's been many years since I've bred ferrets but mine were happy to
be together and help take care of each others babies.  The most recent
was 5 yrs ago when a local person who had bought 2 intact females and 1
intact male.  They contacted me for breeding info and I related my limited
experience of years ago.

The ferrets were housed together and both mothers got pregnant and both
raised each others kits and the father helped too.  This had been my
previous experience as well.  When Prissy's daughter had babies, Grandma
Prissy, Auntie Teddy Bear, Auntie Vixen, and Aunty Ruby helped take care of
Whitney's babies.  Before the birth they all live together and when Whitney
had her litter, I moved her to a birthing box so that the other ladies
wouldn't try to dry nurse the babies, but several hours each evening the
birthing cage was opened to all and everyone would visit and curl up with
mom and kits.  A heartwarming site indeed.

Grandpa Nikky would visit but didn't hold as much interest in helping as
his dad had.

Just my limited experiences.  I guess we just lived/live differently than
most folks.

hugs to all. tle