From:
"J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:10:29 -0400
Jennifer,

First off I want to tell you I think you gave your fuzz bean a great name.

You're right, 95 degrees is too hot for your kid and you don't want to leave
him outside on his own at night.  After sun goes down a bit, you could let
him out in his outdoor run for a while with your supervision.  At least he'd
get some excercise that way.  But your kid also needs human contact, playing
and so forth to really be happy.

I think you need to re-negotiate with your step-mom.  Circumstances have
changed--the original agreement was that Furlow could have freedom in your
room.  Well, the living room IS your room right now.  Keep in mind, its
important not to antangonize your step-mom and your dad.  But perhaps you
can come to an agreement that during certain hours, you can block off the
living room to allow Furlow time to run and for you to play with him.  Mom
could use the time to go for a walk, go to store, or something.

Ferrets can and do get depressed.  When I adopted my second ferret, he was
used to living with his old mistress and he missed her something fierce.
Normally cuddly and affectionate, P.B.  became withdrawn and surly.  This
changed as he came to trust my wife and I and realised that he was with
people who really cared about him.

Travel isn't bad for a ferret.  In fact, many ferrets really like to travel.
If your car doesn't have airconditioning, try to travel in the morning or
evening after it gets cooler outside.  Freeze water in some 1 litre soda pop
bottles, wrap a towel around it, and put it in Furlow's travel cage.  This
will help keep him cool.  Make sure he has water to drink.  The first
warning sign that a ferret is too hot is heavy panting.

Ferrets can get car sick.  There isn't much you can do it that happens--
stop the car, put him in his harness and lead and let him walk it off.

You can make him more comfortable by keeping him cool and putting some of
his regular bedding and toys in the travel cage with him.  Talk to him alot
too.

Once again--in a mature way--try to re-negotiate with your step mom.
Explain to her how important it is for Furlow's health and happiness to run
and play each day.  You don't have a private room right now to let him have
some freedom, so propose some kind of comprimise where Furlow gets an hour
or two to run but your step-mom doesn't have to be around to be with him.
If the tv is in the living room, and your step-mom has favourite shows,
make sure to suggest a time that she doesn't watch.

I hope all this helps.
Matthew.

The Arts in Technology--Creative Consulting and Contracting

J. Matthew Saunders (540)951-3090
[log in to unmask]  http://dogstar.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/

"We have to work in the theatre of our own time,
with the tools of our own time" --Robert Edmond Jones