From:
"Karen E. Marsh-Lovvorn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 16:39:20 -0400
Hi All:
Here are a couple happy ferret stories to brighten your day!

A Tale of Two City (Ferrets):
Durham, NC is a city of approximately 250,000 people, but last Sun.  2 lost
fuzzies had a wonderful reunion!  One was found on Sun.  4/6, & the other on
Thurs., 4/10.  Coincidentally, both ended up coming to Rogues' Gallery on
the same day (Sun., 4/13).

After the rescuers completed their "found ferret info." sheets, & left, I
noticed a few odd similarities: These 2 MF girls are about 3-4 yrs.  old;
found a few blocks apart along the same busy street; both have a (probably
diet-related) yellowish undertone to their coats.  Same size, general health
(good, actually, except for earmites & too-long nails); both super-friendly
....Hmmm...

Well, lo & behold, the moment they caught wind of each other, there was much
excited dooking & sniffing!  They were so joyful when they saw each other
that we KNEW they must be a pair!  They spent about an hour bouncing around
the house, then curled up in a hammock & went to sleep together!  (Now, if
only we could figure out who they belong to...)

Strange (Ferret) Days:
Seems that last Sun.  (busy day for ferrets, apparently), a family left
their 16 week old boy fert out in their "ferret-proofed" house while they
went to church.  They couldn't find him when they returned, but, knowing
ferrets, figured he'd just curled up somewhere.  He stayed "missing" for 3
days, in spite of the owners squeaking his toy throughout the house,
checking with neighbors, pet stores, vets, searching outside, leaving food
out, etc.  On Weds.  they called us hoping we'd found him..  Got home late &
couldn't call back till Thurs.  - only to be told by the delighted & amazed
owner told me he had JUST SHOWED UP, nosing around her feet, wanting to be
picked up!!!  Now where in the heck WAS the little fuzzbutt all that time???

New Theory:
I have a theory that ferrets know a secret passageway to an alternate
universe.  Life gets pretty busy for them on this ol' human world what with
all that sleeping & dragging things under the couch, so maybe they just have
to get away once in awhile.  I suspect the passageway to this secret
universe resides somewhere in a sock drawer or dresser - like C.S.  Lewis'
universe in the Narnia books (i.e., "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe,"
etc.) except in reverse.  In C.S.  Lewis' books, no time passed for people
in the "ordinary world" while the children were away for what seemed like
years & years to them, while in OUR universe time seems to pass EVER so
slowly when your ferret is missing & you can't find him/her.  And then when
they come back, they act as if no time has passed at all!!!

I wonder where they go on their little journeys?

Retired Breeder Program:
Thanks to everyone who asked about MF's retired breeder program (for vet
schools).  Unfortunately, I don't have an answer yet, but I'm working on it!
I've been playing phone tag with my contact at N.C.  State Vet School, &
also with MF for about a week,, but as soon as I hear back from someone I'll
pass on the details!!!

Supplies Survey:
I'm considering expanding Rogues' Gallery to include a ferret supplies
store, and am currently conducting market research on things ferret owners
buy, how often, where, etc.  I don't want to take up anymore space on the
FML, but would LOVE to hear from you if you're willing to take 5-10 minutes
to fill it out for me.  It will be very helpful for me as I decide if it's
worth doing, what items are the most in demand/useful, & for what price.

If you're interested, please e-mail [log in to unmask] & I'll send one to
you.

Hugs & Fuzzy Kisses,

Karen & the Gang
(Lao, Gurgey, 'Mantha, Puka, Ginger, Jaslow, & the two mystery girls!)