Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 05:44:56 -0500
Fraggle had surgery Thursday and while still in guarded condition, is
eating A&D diet on her own, with small pieces of boiled chicken added.  She
went from licking the goop off my fingers to eating out of a bowl in two
days.  Tomorrow, she goes on Bobs Chicken Gravy full time.  Her belly is
still a little swollen looking and she is still doing a faint grunting
sound when I pick her up, but overall, I think her recovery is very
promising.  Her glued incision looks very nice.

I first noticed two small bb-sized lumps about 3 weeks ago during a monthly
physical check-up I give each month for each ferret.  I have a form--a
check list really-of various things I look at, like weight, ears, ears,
nose, muscle tone, teeth, etc., with an area for notes.  I noted the size
and position of the bumps I found, and made a vet appointment to have them
looked at by a professional.  Within two weeks, the bb-sized nodules had
grown quite large, and felt like a new type of organ had grown inside
Fraggle.  Alarmed, we scheduled a surgery to see what we could see.

The tumor was simply amazing.  About the size of a thumb (really, it was
HUGE), it appeared to be two fluid-filled "balloons" of tissue connected
together, growing off a thin stalk-like vessel, which came off the vena
cava.  At the point where the two cysts joined was what appeared to be
something that superficially looked like adrenal tissue.  Strangely, both
adrenals were in their proper location, and neither showed signs of
disease.  Of course I took lots of photos, and when I get the pathology
report, I will place the material in the Geek's List repository for future
reference.

The tumor was clearly life threatening, and had I not noticed the growth as
rapidly as I did, Fraggle may well have not had much of a chance.  Also,
Fraggle is old; I'm not sure how old, but probably 6-7 years, so some
people might have hesitated at surgery at this age.  I know her quantity of
life is limited, but clearly the tumor was impacting the QUALITY of life.
I simply had no choice and I am very happy I did not hesitate a second.
Fraggle is ALREADY feeling better; she even bit a friend who was driving
me about.  I told her Fraggle was freaked from the surgery and blind, but
noooooooooo.  She had to stick her finger in the cage.  She deserved it.

Tonight, Fraggle is sleeping quietly in the hospital cage, accompanied by
Sam Luc.  I always place a second ferret in hospital cages for warmth and
physical contact (usually one of their sleeping partners or an older quiet
ferret).  I personally think a second ferret is a better "heater" than any
heating pad, and the physical contact is beneficial in ways science can't
begin to explain.  Sammy has been gently grooming her for the last few
hours.  Most of the time, he is just curled around her, keeping her warm,
giving her a feeling of security, and licking the A&D off her chin.

Thanks to all who sent in nice notes and greeting cards.  They were very
appreciated.

Bob C, Fraggle and 15 Mo' Ferrets That Were Turning Blue