From:
Joe Ronk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 11:38:48 -0500
Kim,
> I'm kind of curious to see how Squirt and Pippi would accept the Totally
Ferret
> food. I've haven't seen it in the Pet Stores here yet.

Performance Foods (maker of Totally Ferret) is a relatively new company and
had not yet expanded to stores throughout the market.  If TF is not yet
carried locally then you can call 1-800-843-1738 for mail ordering
information.  I used to mix various foods together for my horde but now I
don't because for the first time since getting the critters, I believe I have
one food that answers all their nutritional needs.

Stacy,
> The truth is, after reading all these
> things about the terrible reactions ferrets may get to vaccinations,
> I'm apprehensive about getting them. If my ferrets don't go out,
> is it okay to "skip" their shots?

Well, canine distemper is very contagious and you could bring it into the
home on your hands or clothes (and once a ferret gets CD, it is 100% fatal).
 And if you have visitors over at your house and your kid bites one then
there are rabies legal issues.  I recommend you get your shots back up to
date.  I have heard a suggestion that spacing the distemper shot and the
rabies shot so there are two weeks between will help reduce the chance of a
reaction.  Also, remember, not that many ferrets have reactions to shots, we
just hear about them because it is something to know.  In other words, when
you consider the number of adverse reactions reports, think about the vast
number of ferrets who have not had reactions to their shots that we never
hear about.
Last, I believe that because of the ignorant/stupid people out there.  We, as
ferret owners (or owned by ferrets), have to present a much higher level of
pet ownership and taking responsibility for our kids than for other pets.
 That includes keeping shots up to date because I am sure the other side
would love to paint a picture of people who don't care enough to keep shots
up to date as just another reason that ferrets are not good as pets.

Joe Ronk and the horde:
  Foxy Lady
  Cool Breeze
  Frettchen