From:
"The Ferret Store From NEEPS Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 09:17:42 -0400
Hi,

I generally don't post to the FML, but I have been an avid FML reader for
the last four years.

I cannot help but to post in reference to the pets.com food sale and
general pricing in defense of independent pet food retailers, and smaller
companies such as ourselves (The Ferret Store).

pets.com is offering prices on pet food and supplies that is below their
cost.  They are selling these products at a loss.  We pay more for our
Totally Ferret (which is for resale), than they are selling it for to the
public on sale.  They are at war with the Internet pet stores, and regular
pet stores to get as much market share as they possibly can, and with
over $50,000,000 in capital raised in part from amazon.com, they will
sell products below cost and do whatever is necessary to try to grow
their mailing list, attempt to kill the independent retailer, and smaller
companies until eliminated, and then their prices will rise.

I just wanted to let everyone who reads the FML know this.  I am not
crying, nor am I asking you specifically not to shop there.  I know at The
Ferret Store - we have absolutely nothing to worry about.  We have always
put an extreme emphasis on customer service, great pricing, free shipping,
and most importantly - caring about ferrets, something that pets.com will
probably never do or be able to achieve.  I have ordered many test orders
from them, and under most circumstances, if you are used to ordering at The
Ferret Store, I have confidence that you will be disappointed.  But, I feel
that I needed to post this because when a company starts advertising prices
like this, it could possibly make the consumer feel that they have paid
unfair prices in the past from other retailers and companies, when in fact,
nothing could be farther from the truth...

Take care,

Joe P. (& my 5 fuzzy children)
The Ferret Store

 The Ferret Store/NEEPS,Inc.