From:
Norma Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 23:55:51 +0000
Well, Molly is going into the Vet's tomorrow.  She started losing fur
(underfur, mostly) on her tail and back last Sept., but since that is when i
moved, and moved, and got my new boy Leo, the Vet (and I) thought it was
probably just stress.  I tried to keep her and Leo seperated as much as was
possible at the time, and her fur did grow back within a month or two.

Well, now it is going again.  Again, it is the fur on her tail (not
completely bald, but pretty shabby looking) and on her bum.  You can really
see all the skin on her bum (which is also quite bony).  I don't know what
to think because she is a very sensitive ferret (extremely attached to
me...as i am to her) and i did just spend a couple of weeks away from her in
the hospital, and we did have to move back home, and she and Leo have been
forced to spend large amounts of time in their one big cage together.  Leo
loves her too much and won't leave her alone--he kissed her ear so much one
night that when we went in to check on them her ear was bright red.  We are
keeping them apart more now (one out in the room, while one is in the cage,
and then switching).

I haven't been able to find a Vet.  in Southern Ontario who is very
knowledgeable (or at all!) about ferrets, but I have been told the one we
are going to see tomorrow "specializes" in them.  I have my doubts.  That
probably just means this Vet.  is willing to deal with them at all.

So, any advice you more knowledgeable folks could give me would be GREATLY
appreciated.  Are you thinking stress?  Adrenal?  Something else?  Could Leo
have licked the fur off of her?  What should i be doing?

Molly is also very skinny and not nearly as energetic as she used to be
(before last September when it all began).  I find myself giving her Ensure
fairly often to put some weight back on her.

Thank-you very much,
Norma-ann...a really concerned mom.