From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 11:09:58 -0500
Another quick note about hammocks:
You can buy grommets (metal eyelets) in most fabric stores.  Just cut
a small hole in the fabric and hammer the eyelets on, then tie on
string or fabric strips.  They're a bit stronger than buttonholes.

Rick Mooney asked:
> Secondly does a reward system work with training ferrets?
> If so what sort of rewards, I find dogs respond really
> well to verbal rewards, but cant imagine this working with
> ferrets.

Rewards work very well, but they do seem to have to be more concrete
than just "good boy".  Ours will perform for raisins, dried liver
treats, spaghetti...  For more treat suggestions, see the FAQ.  Some
ferrets respond well to head-scratching, too.

> While Im on a roll, third question, when we wake
> Fi-Fi up to get her out of her run, or from Michelles
> knicker drawer if she is asleep inside, she always "shivers"
> for a couple of minutes, it seems like a nervous shiver.

This is also in the FAQ.  In short, she's probably just trying to
raise her body temperature, which tends to fall while she's asleep.

On the Ferret Photo Gallery:
Send those photos!  Three people have sent me pictures to scan, and
they're all wonderful.  I'll scan a couple of your pictures and return
them promptly, include them in the Photo Gallery, and send you copies
of the files.  What more could you ask? :-)

On winter coats:
Both Pixxel (dark sable) and Rusty (cinnamon) got beautifully thick
coats this year -- and Rusty didn't even wait 'till March for his,
like he did last year! :-) Pixxel has lightened up a lot; her head's
nearly white now, except for a nicely prominent mask.  Rusty's head
has gone golden, absolutely gorgeous.  They both have slightly darker
triangles on their foreheads.

Happy Saint Nicholas Day! :)

- Pam in Rochester, NY
Ferret FAQ - http://www.ceas.rochester.edu:8080/ee/users/rhode/index.html
             ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/ferret-faq/part[1-5]