From:
Benjamin Otten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:05:26 -0400
Luperon is a very good option for adrenal diasese in ferrets  It is the
best medical treatment we have available.  True it does not provide a cure
to the disease.  However it is the best option for ferrets that are not
good canidates for surgery (ie those with insulinomas, ect)  Also it is a
very cost effective solution for people who can't come up with the $$ for
surgery.  Yes in the long run it might cost more that surgery, but
most(>60% in a recent study) ferrets who have surgery develop a tumor on
the oppisite side with in 13 months.  Often the 2nd tumors are hard to
remove because the stick to blood vessles.  Still I think a surgery is a
very viable option initally if the ferret is stable and the money is a
available.

The Animal Medical Center
Exotic Pet Service
510 East 62nd St.