From:
Pat Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:29:53 -0500
It really saddens me to read the fml and find so many posts that are not
really related to sharing information about and helping ferrets.  There are
too many people out there that are using the FML strictly for bashing other
people.  What's sad too is that they will use ferrets to do it.  I realize
that this is human nature (and I thought we were above the animals of this
world), but the purpose of the FML was to share ferret information, advise
on how to care for ferrets, share anectdotes about our ferrets, and any
other ferret stuff.  But to use the FML as a means to build up one's own ego
by putting some other person down is abuse of the FML.  Why are you putting
up with this Bill?  It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what's
happening here.  It also doesn't take an English major to read between the
lines of some of these posts.  Wake up folks.  This sort of behavior is
destructive.  It's like a virus that infiltrates our computer systems.  It
spreads and destroys everything it comes in contact with.  How long is
everybody going to allow this kind of people bashing to continue.  How long
are you going to allow it to continue, Bill?

I usually try to stay out of the controversies on the FML, but the postings
from a few are getting very tiresome, and may cause some folks to leave the
fml.  Most of those people have something valuable to say that is in keeping
with the purpose of this list.  I would hate to see that happen.

[Moderator's note: I went over my often stated policy a couple of issues
ago, but I have to remind people that there's a little bit of art, science
and luck involved.  What's an "obvious" flame to some isn't a flame at all
to others.

I think no matter what I do I won't be able to please everyone, so I have to
settle for the majority, as seen through my perhaps flawed outlook.  But, I
do think this thread on flames is "spent" and would ask that if subscribers
have further comments, I'd love to hear them -- but OFF the list for now,
please.  BIG]