Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:12:24 EST
There are several ways, as I understand it, to pass on diseases at the
vets and at the ferret judging tables.  The lack of sterilization and
disinfection is a serious concern to all of us.  Am I correct in the
following assertions concerning elimination of bacteria and virus from
table and hands?

Urination: My ferrets have urinated on the table at the vets before.  I am
sure this has happened judging also.  If the table is just wiped off and
the solution is not allowed to sit on the table for 10 minutes-bacteria and
virus on the table may well come in contact with the next animal on the
table.  Now we have potential for disease transmission.

Licking: Most of my ferrets lick the vet on the back of the hand or forearm
as they are held.  If the hand and forearm are not scrubbed, and another
ferret licks the vet or judge-we have potential for disease to be spread.
The wipes are what judges have been using?  They have been cleaning the
palms and fingers only?

As previously stated, the vets I have observed don't use anything to clean
their hands.  One of the Killians said I was wrong about this as though
they had seen the layout and observed what I had at the different offices.
One of those offices is encased in all glass rooms.  I can see everything
going on.  Basically calling me a liar once again is one of the reasons I
do not read the Killians, and have asked you not to send me false things
they have written concerning me.But I thank you for your concern.

Sneezing: ferrets seem to sneeze more than cats, dogs, guinea pigs,
hamsters and rats.  I have witnessed this.  Some ferret magazine articles
have mentioned this.  Do you feel that this is correct?

When one sneezes, the saliva is forced out in particles that spray for
quite a distance in the movies that I have seen in classes I have taken.
Lots of airborne bacteria shooting out, then, when a ferret sneezes.
Possibly landing on the forearm, wrist, table, or anywhere.  What happens
when the next ferret held licks the wrist or forearm that has not been
scrubbed, or is set on the table that has not been properly disinfected?

Bathing: our ferrets bathe by licking themselves.  Vets and judges pick
up our ferrets that have saliva all over them.  If touching a door knob
someone with the flu touched can potentially allow us to become ill with
that flu, and holding our own ferret after holding a ferret with ECE can
transmit ECE=is it possible just holding a diseased ferret and then a
healthy one could pass the bacteria from the saliva of a carrier or
diseased ferret to the healthy ferret if hands are not scrubbed?

What about sniffing?  My ferrets sniff the ground, my clothing, and have
moist warm noses.  Can they get an infection from bacteria or virus on a
contaminated table through the membranes of the nose?  Or from washing
their faces after running their nose over an area that was not disinfected?

My receptionist broke several ribs, so time will be very short for me
this next month.I anm already woking 14 hour days again.  But I have been
writing with people who see no spraying of the tables at their vets.
People who work with vets who do not wash their hands.  I have heard this
serious problem discussed at church amongst vet techs, and with friends
that used to work as assistants, It is a common problem in this general
area.

We need to observe, and purchase our own Rocal or Parvocide if the table
is not being sprayed down.  I have properly diluted mine and put it in the
baby bag I carry in to the vets with paper towels.

We OWE it to our helpless companions to ask the vet to wash his or her
hands if we can observe the vet going straight from one room to another
room if we know those rooms have no sinks.  We OWE it to our ferrets to
make sure the table is disinfected properly.  In this general area I live
in-it is not being done at all offices

All of the places that are sterilizing and disinfecting would be welcome
to let us know where you are.  I would particularly like to learn of places
in Illinois.  Obviously, there are many wonderful vets and assistants that
genuinely care about the welfare of animals.

Are all ferret shows having their judges take the time to scrub their
hands and forearms?  Are they spraying down the table, wiping off any
contaminants, then spraying again to let the solution sit for at least 10
minutes?

I strongly feel that To pretend there is nothing wrong by not taking proper
precautions at a show is nothing short of a calloused diregaurd for the
life of your companion.  Your ferret is being handled after the ferret
from New York, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio--each one a potential cariier of a
disease.  Make sure at the judging of ferret shows and at your vets-that
your helpless animal---that trusts entirely on YOU for his or her safe
keeping-- that proper protocol are used.  Or bring your own spray to the
vets office and do what must be done.

In the name of ferrets--who are our joy- and our responsibility:
our completely helpless little ones to care for onto death
Lisette