From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 13:52:52 -0400
Things have been so crazy here in the past week, I have not posted about
Jack's surgery on Friday the 12th.  I guess I was so wrapped up in Cupcake
and her horrible story, that poor Jack was neglected!!  Well, neglected as
a ferret can be who is being handfed every few hours.....

Anyway... Jack's surgery went fairly well, he is doing wonderfully, even
picking up a little weight.  The question I have is about the appearance of
his pancreas.  The description the vet gave of a typical pancreas is snotty
and pink like bubblegum.  When she opened Jack, there were no nodules or
tumors normally found in a ferret with insulinoma.  His pancreas is harder
and purplish in color.  She still removed a 1/3 to reduce the amount of
insulin he is producing.  his adrenals were normal, so no worry there.  Has
anyone else experienced a ferret with a hard, purplish pancreas?  If so,
what can I expect?  Does a ferret under these circumanstances continue to
respond well to pred?

Any feedback would be much, much appreciated!!

Hugs to all,

Jen and Gang