From:
Tanya Colleen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 20:16:27 -0800
Joining my family are Canela (Spanish for cinnamon), 4 mo female, Gozer
(demon-child), 4 mo male, and Chocolate (Spanish. pronunciation), 10 wk
female. Happy happy, Joy joy!  This was, of course, totally unintentional
...but I do believe we're all quite familiar not only with the Ferret
Virus, but with the I-Can't-Believe-These-Jerks-These-Fuzzies-Are-Not-
Staying-Here! strain of the Ferret Virus (is there a cure for this,
doctors?) But how I managed to spend next quarters' text money on these
beautiful companions is another story.

My question: What are your experiences with prolapsed rectums in ferrets?

Canela's rectum protrudes about 1/4", and seeps blood pretty continuously.
I've minimized the abrasive-factor in her cage with linoleum and super soft
fabric, but I can't keep her from scooting after eliminating (can I?).  It
does look better than it did Saturday, when I got (stormed out with) her.
Amazing how much better one is without wood shavings, isn't it?

We all went to (the delightful) Dr. Madden at Bascom Animal Hospital on
Monday, and he gave me an ointment to apply 3-4x daily to try and get the
swelling down, etc.

It doesn't seem to bother her terribly much, but she is definitely much
much mellower than the other two (psychotic) fuzzes.  She just sniffs
around, checking things out.  I've seen two hops since Sun. night.  Could
this be a result? (I guess I wouldn't be jumping around either, though)

Lastly, the (*&^%$) owner of the pet shop claimed they were MF.  The other
two have the tatoos, but not only does Canela not have them, but I can still
faintly see where she was shaved for spaying.  MF spays them practically
when they're born, right?  This leads me to believe that she's not an MF,
despite the paperwork/guarantee I was given.  Should I bother pursuing this?

Looking forward to your comments!

Tanya
The Perfect Pair: Where's Waldo and G.I. Joanna
and the Newbies; Canela (ouch), Gozer, and Chocolate

BTW - may I mention (brag, shout from the hilltop) that there was _not one_
hiss, chomp, or even hint of a fuss at the integration of my 5?  How did
I get such great (beautiful) kids?  I must have cheated....