From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:34:47 -0400
>Wow...I must say, for a group of people pleading with this "annoyed"
>chick to have some compassion and tolerance and open up her horizons...
>well, let's just say all those posts regarding "annoyed" did not practice
>what they preached.

Have to politely disagree.  I think that most were reasonable replies,
especially since the people making them had been needlessly hurt.  I do
not understand why the first poster felt a need to say things that were
pretty well guaranteed to hurt folks; perhaps frustration if the poster
had the lousy-server obstacles you describe, perhaps wanting a rise,
perhaps something else.  I do understand why those replying have done so
in such a way, though.

>I have been on this FML thing for about 6 years, I think, and I can say
>that I remember the time before Sandee and the Rainbow Bridge.  In fact,
>I remember when Sandee first showed up.  So the FML has not always been
>so, to quote "annoyed", fanatical.

Steve and I have been here since before it began, which makes sense if
you realize we were among those who discussed what would be needed and
wanted beforehand.

Similar approaches to grief have appeared on and off for the list
lifetime of 15 years +, though the individual who puts the work into the
"Sandee" responses has done so longer and more consistently than anyone
else, which really can't be easy.  There has to be a lot of work done to
help people feel better and help ease mourning.  Even the emphasis itself
can be emotionally tiring, so this person provides a very hard to do and
very kind service, and whoever it is does so without credit, too.  It
takes an incredibly kind heart to be so overwhelmingly concerned about
helping others.  So, many thanks to "Sandee".

I personally find it tiresome when someone who I don't know in relation
to help provided for others then goes and attacks one who does do a huge
amount for others.  Actions speak louder than words, and one thing that I
think that most folks here can agree on is that "Sandee's" actions have
been designed to do a great deal of good while doing no harm.

>and as for scrolling, etc., just for the information of some people out
>there...on some computers the concept of scrolling through the FML, and
>at times over half of it, is a big pain in the rear-end.

Ah, now, see, that is why it can make sense for some folks to change
servers when they can, just as we each change to more reliable services
and businesses in other fields as needed (writing as someone who moved
an account from a national bank yesterday into a regional bank which has
extremely better interest rates, lower charges, and unlike the large one
has never made an error on any of our accounts -- the big bank we left
lost $28 K of our money for few months with some of their bungling but
we luckily got it back).

From your explanation, though, I can see where it might simply not be
known by people with good servers that such hurtles to normal functions
exist for others (I didn't, especially since scrolling is such a basic
thing and has been for so very, very long.), and those with bad servers
might not realize that there are options which are so much better than
what they are suffering to use.

May I point out that it is not the fault of those the original poster
criticized or of "Sandee" if that first poster decided to use a bad
server, and I hope that knowing that there are better alternatives will
promote a switch which will ease any frustration if that is the cause.

Again, I hope that this makes enough sense.  I had an anaphylactic
reaction today but i think that the epi and other meds given and reaction
have eased enough now that I am becoming lucent enough.  Just one of my
ridiculous quirks...