From:
Nancy Hartman CIS graduate student <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1992 04:08:06 -0400
Subject:  Ferret List Issue 264

> [More on the ASAP - Lymphosarcoma can kill *very* fast.
> Toby had no symptoms whatsoever, we just found him dead in
> his cage one day (spleen had ruptured).]

I think Dr. Kawasaki recommends blood work done on older ferrets,
just as a precautionary measure.  There's a sign on his wall that says
how often for what age ferrets, but I was sort of stressed out during
my visit and don't remember the specifics.

[Wouldn't have helped.  Toby was 10 mos. old]

> There's also Dr.
> Thomas Kawasaki, who's in Connecticut -- Nancy Hartman can
> probably get you his number.

Actually, he's in Northern Virginia (near Manassas).  He's done extensive
research in diseases of the ferret, primarily cancers.

Dr. Thomas Kawasaki, DVM
3604 Old Bridge Rd.
Woodbridge, VA  22192
703 690 - 2580

He's probably the best ferret vet in the country (that actually sees
patients).

[In Canada, Dr. Michael Taylor, in the Martingrove animal hospital
in Toronto is probably about as good.  He's well known as an expert
on ferrets, and is often called for advice by other vets.]

        And, his prices are *VERY* reasonable.  I paid $140 for
Percy's recent adrenal surgery (+ medication and blood work).  My Vice
President, Cindy, has a ferret that needs the same surgery, and her
vet around here quoted her over $500!!!  So, if you live within
a reasonable distance, it would probably be worth your while to go
ahead and take the road trip there.  Even if you have to spend a few
nights in a hotel, it would still be cost-effective, and your ferret
would recieve the best care possible.  Manassas is a really nice place,
and D.C. is just about 45 min. away, so you could even make a nice little
vacation out of it.

Dr. Kawasaki is always more than happy to confer with other vets.  Have
your vet give him a call.  Even if you do decide to go down there, it's
not a bad idea to have your vet do all the preliminary diagnostic work.
(and it will be a great learning experience for your vet!)

Regarding anonymous postings requesting help - please put the state,
or at least the region, you are in in your post.  Those of us who do
have lists of addresses can only help if we have somewhere to start.
Make up a post-name for yourself, so that we can get to know you, and
start each anonymous posting with something like "from Anonymous Bob in
Massachusetts".  Just stating your state isn't going to give your
"real" identity away, and I have yet to hear of the FBI investigating
a renegade ferret owner.  :-)

>  Recently, though, we've been keeping Nancy in a
> large Kennel Cab.

"Aaaah!!!  <rattle, rattle, rattle>  Let me out!!!"

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  :-)  That's the first time I've heard of
a ferret named Nancy.  I'll try to restrain my incredibly juvenile sense
of humor in the future.  :-)

[Warped, distinctly warped ;-)  Though I'd probably do the same if I
ever ran across a pet named "Chris" ;-)]

Regarding 24 hour panic number:  I will certainly take any calls about
ferret care/problems/etc.  I'm (blush) pretty knowledgable, although I
wouldn't consider myself one of the best around.  Although I think if
you have enough of an emergency to have to call someone at 3 AM, it should
probably be your local vet and not someone in another state.  I don't mind
late calls, I usually don't go to bed until at *least* 1 AM.  And, I'm
pretty used to being awakened by people calling with ferret problems.
The majority of which are just new owners needing to know "the basics",
but I've dealt with more than a few serious problems.

My phone number is (215) 255 - 4436

- Emergencies - any time!
- Non-emergencies - preferred between 10 AM and 12 PM.  (I'm not much of
  a morning person)
- I'm a starving college student, so long distance calls will be returned
  collect.
- Answering machine picks up after the 6th ring, so hold on if you want to
  leave a message.
- I don't know anything about ferret CPR, so do not call me in that
  critical of an emergency.
- If I'm not home, and it's urgent that you get in touch with someone,
  try me at (302) 453 - 8918 (eve.) or (215) 268 - 5153 (work, but I'm
  only there about 2 hours a day at random times).  I'll try to
  remember to make copies of my ferret-related phone numbers to keep
  at those locations.
- Don't get mad at me if I don't know the answer to your questions!  For
  more serious problems I may not be able to do much more than point you
  in the right direction for finding the answer.

My Vice President, Cindy, works nights and is usually available from
Noon - 3:30pm and 1:30 - 3:00am on weekdays.  Her number is (302) 738-0115.
Since she does work nights, please only call during those hours unless it
is an emergency.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree