From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 03:43:50 EST
To Catherine Shaffer on euthanasia:

It was with awe that I learned just recently how mink are dispatched by some
of the mink breeder/furriers.

You may not want to read further.  But for the others, here goes.

The minker take advantage of the savagery of the mink to kill it quickly by
using a specialized instrument that resembles a pair of elongate scissors.
Instead of opposing blades that shear, these mink scissors blades are
laterally flattened to mimic the contour of the mink's upper jaw (muzzle)
and the roof of the mink's mouth.

The minker thrusts the opened mink scissors at the terrified mink cowering
in the corner of its pen until the mink bites lightning quick the lower leg
of the scissor.  A quick squeeze closes the scissor, clamping the mink by
its upper jaw (muzzle) and usually catches the upper K9's as well, making it
virtually impossible for the mink to escape.

The minker then yanks the clamped mink out of its pen and in the same motion
sharply snaps his arm in a short whip-like motion, instantly snapping the
cervical spine of the mink.  It's instant death.  In this manner the minker
does not risk the bite of the lightning-quick mink, because he is not
physically handling the mink as would be the case were he to grasp the
mink's head in his fist and whip-snap its spine.

As I understood the recitation of this method, an experienced minker can
dispatch a mink once every 30 seconds.  Practice makes perfect, I'm told.

It's unlikely this method would be applicable to euthanize the ferret, since
the ferret is unlikely to bite the scissor leg with the same alacrity as the
mink, bearing in mind the the ferret is domesticated and the mink not.

This conclusion brings me to the question of just how quantities of healthy
ferrets were euthanized by furriers some years ago when their fur pelts were
used to fabricate fur coats, the fur then being termed "fitch fur."

From the book titled, " Ferret Facts and Fancies" by A. R. Harding on
page 184 is written,

  The ferret is in reality a fur-bearing animal, being known to the fur
  trade in Europe by the name of fitch.  In America, it is known as
  fitch-ferret or ferret.  The fur is called fitch in Europe where upwards
  of 100,000 skins are used annually, although the price has been low.  It
  may not be generally known, nevertheless it is a fact, that thousands of
  these skins are sent each year to this country.

  Ferret pelts to the value of $1,000,000 yearly may be a reality soon.

What do you think of that, ferret lovers?

Edward Frettchenvergnuegen Lipinski,
der Frettchen Meister von Mercer Inselreich,
Der Staat Washingon,
Die Vereinigten Staaten von Nordamerika