From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:34:06 -0500
There are vaccine RESPONSES and then there are vaccine REACTIONS.  They
are two completely different things.  A lump at the spot is a localized
response which poses no danger, a brief and mild lethargy (sometimes even
a mild illness -- but check with your vet to see where ones you encounter
fall) qualifies as a response.  REMEMBER THAT VACCINES WORK BY MAKING THE
BODY RECOGNIZE AN INVADER AND ATTACK IT -- THIS MEANS THAT THE ANIMAL MAY
BECOME TIRED OR MILDLY ILL SIMPLY AS PART OF DEVELOPING EXACTLY THE IMMUNE
RESPONSE YOU WANT IT TO HAVE TO BE ABLE TO FIGHT THE DISEASE.  On the other
hand, in a reaction the body has decided that part of the vaccine (or
vaccines if the individual's particular trigger is in a common medium) has
become labeled by the body as a serious invader which requires a massive
response -- blood pressure may drop to a potentially deadly degree and
mucus membranes may inflame to a life-threatening level, the gut may empty
with extreme rapidity, consciousness may be lost, etc.  In humans sometimes
the skin with respond with epidermal necrosis which can extend to the mucus
membrane of the intestines and from two (EXCEEDINGLY RARE) descriptions
read here of ferrets which shed intestinal tissue during reactions I have
sometimes wondered if this was part of what happened with them.  The point
is that you do not have to worry about a response (It is something useful.)
but you and your vet have to jump immediately for a reaction, so it is
important that people not freak about ferrets which have simply had
that you ask your vet to teach you about the differences and for you to
stay at the vet's for at least 20 minutes following vaccinations!

When the vets determine that an actual reaction occurred it may be best to
skip vaccinations for that individual animal; your vet will have the best
handle on if that is the case.  One thing which can help -- but MUST be
cleared with your vet beforehand -- is to premedicate with about 0.125 ml
of pediatric benadryl before you head out to the vet hospital,
alternatively your vet can provide an antihistamine.

This is something which your vet needs to discuss with you to be able to
understand the situation for next time.

Aussie numbers in the FML: Hey, there is NO reason why the numbers (18+)
can't make a difference, and certainly when people want to discuss matters
in their own countries there is absolutely NO reason why they should not
just plain speak up and do so.  Sometimes help extends across boundries as
has happened twice in a few short weeks with efforts in Canada and New
Zealand using information and resources provided by people in the U.S.
Also, don't forget that the FML began with fewer total subscribers
(original members in Canada and the U.S.) than there are numbers of Aussie
members on the FML now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, the Least Weasel numbers I gave are from nose to tail tip (I left out
"tip".) which makes it a VERY tiny animal -- as small as around 5"
including the tail.

Those who can't afford medical care for ferrets should remember that there
are shelters which have foster programs.

Steve and I are glad it worked out so well in Calgary; it's always
wonderful to see a place respond logically to research data like the CDC
studies!  Congratulations on adding a human family member and on keeping a
furry one.  (BTW, since I know you lost files and are incredibly busy I let
Charles Rupprecht know how it turned out and thanked him again.)