From:
pat martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 01:45:37 -0500
Hello FMLers,

The other day, I wrote about my ferrets who demonstrated symptoms consistent
with ECE.  I convinced my vet that their illness was actually ECE (it was my
original hypothesis).  At first, she wrote it off.  As my ferrets became
sicker, and after reading tons of material that I sent her, she agreed that
it was ECE.  In addition she started talking to colleagues within the St.
Louis area, and they had never heard of the virus, although they were
currenly treating several ferrets with consistent symptoms.  Hopefully, in
the future ferrets within the St. Louis area will be diagnosed as treated
quicker.  Anyway, my ferrets are struggling through the illness (as am I).
I have been bringing them to the vet every other to every day for
subcutaneous injections, and I have been force feeding them with "duck
soup", pepto-bismal and pedialyte every four hours or so.  I try to give
approximately 10cc of duck soup and 10cc of pedialyte.  In addition, I am
giving them ammonxicillan twice a day.  Other than that, a lot of rest.
Three of the ferrets stools are becoming more solid, less discolored, but
sill somewhat grainy.  One ferret, the one in the worst shape is still
passing loose, green-black birdseed stools.  In addition, a recent blood
workup on her indicated that her liver functioning is extrememly poor.  Her
results were: AST 3609, ALT 1182, Total Protein 4.5, Alb 2.7 Glob 1.8, Bun
45, creat .6 and phos 7.2.

Anyone have any treatment recommendations/diagnostic considerations?  Is
this normal with ECE?  Should I have my other ferrets undergo blood
work-ups?  Also, as I am bringing my ferrets to the vet almost daily (she is
gracious enough not to charge me for those visits--I am extremely thankful)I
know that at some point I will wear out my welcome.  How risky is it for me
to give my ferrets subcutaneous injections at home?  My vet said that she
would teach me, but advised me against it.

Thanks for everyones help and feedback!
Pat Martin
Salome, Jezebel, Percephone and Gabara