From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:50:33 -0500
Wolfy writes
>Are there many private breeders still breeding blazes, or ferrets with
>suspicous markings?  Gosh, I was hoping that this had slowed down.

Many are still breeding blazes, pandas and other "specialty" colors.
Just look at the ads in the back of Ferrets magazine.  Most of the
breeders listed mention "unusual" or "variety" of colors as one of
their selling points.

Why do they do it?  For the same reason I find it unlikely Marshall Farms
has stopped breeding such colors--people want them.  As long as the
people buy the marked kit before the "plain" sable one, the pet stores
will demand them from the farms, and the farms will produce them, or risk
losing out to their competition.  It is the same reason MF and others
ship their kits too young.  It's easier for a store to sell a cute
helpless 6-7 week old than a more mature 8-9 week old.  As long as one
farm will do it, the others will be forced to do it too.  (This is why
establishing laws requiring a minimum age of sale are SOOO important!!)

Another factor that effects the private breeders is that EVERY ferret
show I have ever been aware of has specialty ring for pandas, blazes
and/or dark-eyed whites.  More rings means more entries and more money
for the sponsoring organization.  It also means more chances to win and
more ribbons for the breeders.  More ribbons makes it easier to command
a higher price for their champion bloodlines.

Until these things change, pandas and blazes will continue to be
produced.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH