From:
diane killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 03:13:24 -0400
>From:    Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farms revisited...again
>
>To the person that first began the newest MF thread, I highly recommend
>you go through the FML archives and read the posts on this ferret mill.

Comparing Marshall Farms to a mill is prejudicial.  Puppy mills are
notorious for starting a breeding operation with no regard for good
breeding practices.  They never seek veterinary help for their charges.
They have nothing positive to offer the dog loving community.  This is
unlike Marshall Farms in every one of those ways.

>The MF debate has raged on the FML and nothing is ever resolved. There
>are two or three posters who always defend Marshall, stating that they
>have "inside" sources at the company but they will not divulge who or
>what position their contact holds within the company (requested via
>private email exchange).

You must not be referring to us as we haven't received any private emails
requesting this type of information.  We stated publicly before we are
not at liberty to provide this type of sensitive information to you, or
anyone else.  And we have stated several reasons why we are unwilling
and, in fact, unable to pass along confidential information, such as
this.  Suffice it to say that there are those within the Marshall Farms
organization who have specifically requested that it not be passed out to
the general public.

>Marshall Farms has been asked repeatedly (by me and others), to make a
>post on the FML regarding concerns...

As was stated to us on several occasions, Marshalls knows that if they
posted, they wouldn't be treated fairly, therefore, they have chosen not
to become embroiled in a bitter dispute or flame war with their detractors.

>then you can call and hear their excuses and lack of knowledge on
>ferrets first hand (oops, had to put my personal experiences in).

This is a perfect example.  You have implied that you believe that you,
as a more or less, recent ferret owner know more than the Marshalls,
a multigenerational family with decades of experience, back to the
beginnings of the keeping of ferrets as pets.

>Keep in mind, that Marshall Farms will not allow outside visitors to
>the breeding area and states that it is because of the possibility of
>germs.

From a purely practical standpoint, this is an extremely important reason
for not allowing visitors.  Numerous private breeders won't allow visitors
to see their breeding facilities.  Germs can lead to infectious diseases
being spread, as well as possibly fatalities.

>I believe it is to Marshall Farms benefit to allow someone (a
>knowledgeable private party) to visit the breeding facility and it
>raises even more red flags in my eyes that they wont do this.

They have allowed knowledgeable individuals to tour their facilities.
Additionally, they have always received praise from these visitors.  It
has been posted to the FML in the past.

>Also, three vets here in my state, do not feel MF is a good place and
>shudder at all the young ferrets they have seen from there with chronic
>health problems.

It has often been stated that not all ferrets with two dots are from
Marshall.  Your local experiences are different from all but a few other
pockets in the country.  This would definitely validate the idea that
there are fraudulent business practices used by other ranches who would
closely match the term 'mill'.

>I encourage you to view some of my posts on experiences I have had with
>Marshall Farms, as well as others.  You will then be able to conclude if
>they are knowledgable and/or responsible breeders.

And check what we have written over a much longer time, after much more
experience with Marshall and other ranches over the years.  To make such
an assessment, some separate knowledge of ferret ranches, reputable
private breeders and less savory backyard breeders is required, not just
an anecdotal assessment of only one's own experiences.

>I have not encountered anyone who just reads stuff on the Internet
>about them and then starts bashing them from that.

We have.  Many times.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets