Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:45:03 +0000
HI Ruby,

>From:    Ruby Supe <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret biting cage
>I need heilp with my 5 month old silvermitt.  He will not stop biting his
>cage when he's mad or bored.  I have tried bitter apple on the cage, It
>only seems to annoy my 2 yr old sable girlie.  I have also tried adding
>different toys to the cage & changing the old ones out every few days but
>nothing I do seems to help.  He has already broken part of one canine
>tooth...   Help!

I've been off line for about 2 weeks and it has taken some time to catch
up on my FML's and other e-mails.  Your post caught my eye because of its
importance, and I knew I just had to respond to it.

You have identified a common problem with owners who cage their ferrets.
And because I used to fall into that category, I know what I am talking
about.  The answer is actually easier than you may think but the solution
is something which you may not want to hear.

You have clearly identified what the problem is, and that is that your
ferret is bored.  By spraying the cage you are only trying to deal with the
symptom but you are definitely not attacking the problem.  Young ferrets
have a greater energy level than those that are much older.  The problem is
two fold because you need to recognize that their energy level is based on
their own needs and not on your needs.  That essentially means that you'll
need to give him more time out and about as he will need to run off all his
excess energy.  He won't be able to that in his cage unless it is the size
of a small room, which I have yet to see in this lifetime of cage
manufacturers that weren't special orders.

My first ferret was housed in a small cage that fit the Humane Society's
dimensions of living space.  After one month, I knew that the cage was too
small.  My husband and I built a larger, three level cage, about 3'x4'x2'
with castors, and although they had more room, it still was not big enough.
Vincent would chew the wires until I was sure his gums were bleeding.  I
was afraid he would break a tooth, but I was lucky, and so was he.  When I
put him in the cage for time outs, he would try and tip the litter box over
entirely, knowing full well that I would come in there after it to turn it
back over.  He had me trained very well.  We eventually wired it down but
it did not stop him from trying.  His scratchings and diggings would go
on for what seemed like hours.  It was a stressful time for all of us,
including him.

Then finally I came to my senses and realized that I wasn't listening to
him and his needs.  Vincent loved being out of the cage because it meant
fun and adventure.  He got to explore in new areas, new bags, and he got
to smell new and interesting smells.  He had already conquered the cage.
Even if you change the toys and the bedding, the walls stay the same and
the exploration takes very little time to accomplish.

Ferrets are extremely curious and high energy creatures.  Understanding
that they need to be on there own schedule will make it better for both
of you.  When he is ready to go to bed, he will tell you and that is when
he should be put back into the cage.  Not before.  If he is like Vincent
and pretty much most of the ferrets I have had over the years, he will go
back in on his own.  And if he is "bad" I would take some time myself and
reconsider if the bad behaviour isn't anything more than ferret childhood
impishness.  Understanding his needs and complimenting them with yours will
save both of you heartache and some dollars on dentist bills.

I wish you both the best of luck!

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur